Saturday 10 February 2018

12 Questions with Physical Therapist Dr Teddy Willsey


1) Who is Dr Teddy Willsey? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I'm a physical therapist and private practice owner in the Washington D.C. area. Before pursuing PT, I was a passionate and dedicated strength coach for 4 years. I now specialize in 'bridging the gap" between rehab and PT. I love training but I also love the outdoors and using my body for things other than gym exercise. For example, I love to hike, ski, golf, paddle board, kayak, wakeboard, and skateboard. I also have two dogs (adopted pit bulls) that fetch, swim, and come with me almost everywhere.

2) How many years have you been training?

I just figured this out the other day - I've been training for 18 years. I'm 32 and I started when I was 14, in 8th grade.

3) What's been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Multiple shoulder dislocations and injuries have been challenging. 2016 was a tough year. I had hernia surgery and dislocated my shoulder and tore my rotator cuff. I'll probably need surgery eventually, but it's up and running for now... but it took me almost 2 months to be able to reach overhead and do a push up without a ton of pain.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

My workout has evolved over the years and continues to change. I transition between hypertrophy, power, or conditioning focused training typically with 8-12 week blocks. After 6+ years of almost strictly training as a powerlifter, I have branched out and am doing more high rep and conditioning work.

As for food, I'm very much an intuitute or auto regulatory eater. I do meal prep quite a bit, but I also grab food on the go and I'm not so restrictive that it negatively impacts my social life. I eat a balanced diet high in protein, good carbs and fats. When I want to cut down some I just decrease my portion size. This works for me. I never responded well to low carb / high fat type diets I feel terrible on them. I also eat in an intermittent fasting type of window usually about 14 hour fast / 10 hour feed.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

Keep trying new things. But not too often... Once you try something new, stick with it for a minimum of 3 months.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Burger + Fries or Pizza. I also like sweets... I like it all, honestly.

7) one supplement that you could not live without? 

Protein shakes. There are some busy days where it's hard to meet my protein and calorie goals for adequate recovery and protein powder + blended fruit helps me get there.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I would have started powerlifting earlier. There's no substitute for absolute strength and when you're young and not strong yet, you're wasting your time if all you're doing is bodybuilding style training. Get strong first. The physique will follow.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to guys like Eric Cressey, Dean Somerset, Mike Robertson, Bret Contreras and Mike Boyle to name a few. They have been providing quality content and information online for over a decade and have had a huge impact on improving public knowledge on strength & conditioning. Whether you know it or not, one of them has probably had an influence on what you do today in the gym.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Never stop learning and experimenting.

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

Continuing to provide quality content while branching out into some new mediums beyond Instagram as well. Watch out for my website and some more in depth content and products that I'm working on as well.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: @strengthcoachtherapy
Twitter: @teddywillsey

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................