Sunday 14 October 2018

12 Questions with Olympic Weightlifter Jessica Saxon


1) Who is Jessica Saxon? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am originally from Clarksville, TN, I am a military brat- I lived there my whole life until I went to college in New Hampshire and then law school in New Jersey, where I currently live in Cherry Hill! I like to say I essentially have two full time jobs: 1) As a Deputy Attorney General for the State of New Jersey and 2) as an Olympic Weightlifter for Philadelphia Barbell Club. Honestly, there isn't much time for anything else. I try to hang out with family and friends as much as possible outside of the gym and work!

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

This will be my fourth year training exclusively Olympic Weightlifting, but prior to that I did Crossfit for two years and still currently coach part time at my amazing gym True Fitness in Cherry Hill, NJ! I was always athletic-playing a ton of sports in middle and high school, including soccer, track, cross country, gymnastics, and competitive cheerleading. In my adult life, I started lifting through Crossfit, which seems to be an obvious transition for most these days. I went to my current coach, Jim Rutter, with my best friend, Marisa Baumann, and he said "ya know you could qualify for Nationals." I had no idea what that meant at the time, but I started training with him and I have never looked back!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most challenging part of my journey thus far has been the balance between work and lifting, especially because my 9-5 job requires a lot from me when I am in trial. Before this year's National Championships I had 7 trials the two months before. Balancing the stress of work while in a weight cut is extremely challenging, but my nutrition coach, Jaimie Byerly, has pretty much figured me out over the years so we try to plan as best we can for the stress from work. Stress from work always causes my sleep to be inhibited, which for me can cause injury. I am currently working through several injuries, but I have an amazing team helping me manage what I can along the way. My worst injury yet was a herniated disc which occurred in November of last year. Since then I have worked to rehab it with Shane McCann at Haddonfield Sports Recovery. This was the cause of my first ever bomb out in competition at the American Open Finals. Constantly balancing work and lifting and trying to fit in time for body maintenance has always been a challenge but I do the very best I can!

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I typically workout 6 days a week for anywhere from 2-4 hours a training session. I work out two days a week by myself and the other days I train with my Coach. My diet varies based on if I am cutting weight or not! My weight cuts are usually pretty substantial, especially when I was a 53kg lifter. I usually sit naturally around 59kg, so I would have to cut around 13 pounds. Now with the new weight class change, my cuts are not as excruciating and over the years of doing this I have also just gotten better at maintaining my weight. It is always nice after a competition to mindlessly eat and not have to count everything that enters your body! I find I need that mental break for a week or two after big meets. In a weight cut, my diet typically consists of very basic foods: lots of chicken (I LOVE CHICKEN), egg whites, peanut butter, green veggies, and oats.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future). 

This is a tough one because I feel like I am constantly learning, growing and changing. In reference to training, my coach and I are re-working my jerk technique. I have a lot to improve here but I am taking a closer look at my footwork. In reference to lifestyle, this year I have tried to commit to accepting people for who they are and not what I want or expect them to be. In nutrition, I have learned recently that cereal has pretty good macros, which makes for good post-workout carbs!!

6) Whats your favorite cheat/Treat meal?

My favorite cheat meals are ice cream, pizza, and chocolate chip cookies!!!!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Xtend BCAAs Blue Raspberry (they make water taste soooo good and its nice because I drink about a gallon a day)

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would start earlier! I had no idea weightlifting even existed in high school or college. I wish I started earlier because I know my technique would be much better just from more time on the barbell. I think its great that younger generations are starting out earlier! 

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

My Coach, Jim Rutter. He is the absolute best. Not only is he my coach and biggest support, he is mentally the most fierce competitor I know. He has helped me be mentally stronger inside and outside the gym. These skills and attitudes are translatable to all facets of life, not just in lifting.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Be consistent. No one ever talks about the highs and lows of training, injures, weight cuts, etc. All most people see is what is posted on Instagram and lets be real its usually all the good stuff. All athletes go through low points in their training, bad days, and frustrating cycles. During these times, all you can do is trust your training, your coach, and the work and effort you are putting in. Its also important during these times to just let it ride mentally. We can get so wrapped up in bad days that we forget about all the good days and all the accomplishments. Its natural and normal to have bad times and mentally it should just be looked at as a part of the process.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I have recently been invited to compete for Team USA at two international meets: 1) In Barbados in November and 2) In Ecuador in December. I am thrilled to be a part of these two events but my next goal is to make it onto the Pan American or World Team for 2019!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram- JessicaMSaxon

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................