Thursday 26 April 2018

12 Questions With Olympic Weightlifter Evangelia Veli


1) Who is Evangelia Veli? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I'm 27 years old and I was born in Albania but moved with my family in Greece  (Athens) at five years old. I have one brother and 2 sisters, and the reason I lift is all down to my dad as he was a weightlifter (I started young!). I love cooking, Painting and dancing! (Or taking a long walk by the sea).


2) How many years have you been training?

It must be around 12 years of weightlifting, I did stop when I was 18 for my studies but started again when I was 22 until today. So it's been long time! 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I think that the hardest time for me was before olympics in Rio, The invitation came just 8 days before I competed and I had a leg that didn't allow me to lift but through determination I pushed through. When they called me and said that I'm going to Olympics I thought they were joking and I hung up the phone, a little later they sent me the names and I started crying , unfortunatelly my coach couldn't come with me to Rio (which was so scary) but I got through it. I did 5/6 ,snatch 68-72-75 clean & jerk 88-90 and failled with 96, my body weight was 51.58kg.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I work out twice a day , my morning session is usually snatch or clean and jerk , pulls , squats and bodybuilding. My second session in the evening I have the heavy lifts. Maybe it’s weird but I only go up to my 100% every two months , even now that I have a competition in 10 days I still haven't lifted my 100% for more than a month . 

Generally speaking my diet is not really strict, I eat everything but do tighten up around three months before a competition (eat more protein , no sugar , no soda , no alcohol and less carbohydrate) I love salads!!!! . 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I have learned that It's not easy being an elite athlete . You need so sacrifice, a lot. I have missed a lot of momments with my family, my friends, even maybe parts of my childhood. I’m always thinking about getting enough rest ,staying focussed. I have missed parties with friends (I think is been more than 2 years since the last time that I went to a party). When I was a club athlete everything was been so different , now I can tell you it's not easy. Over the years there have been many people who would like to see me faill or quit (even now) but I take that as fuel to make me stronger, more powerfull!. Don't let anyone stop your dreams.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

My favorite cheat meal is good chocolate! 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

BCAA (watemelon flavor) 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I have been asked many times about it but I don’t think I would do anything different, in fact I would do everything exactlly the same. I kinda like how things are,  and my lifestyle and journey have made me the person I am today, and I'm not just talking about my carrer in weightlifting but also my character. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Naim Suleymanogly, I watched him compete since I was around 9 years old. He had Perfect technique and was very strong for his size (like me). I was so very sad when I heard of his death, it was a big loss for the sport, and everybody who loved/looked up to him.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

I would say to enjoy every moment in the gym, there will be moments that you will want to quit but in the end you'll see that all of the hard work is worth the struggle, the sacrifice. Listen to your coach ,respect your teammates and most importantly respect yourself. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I want to become the next european champion, and to win an olympic medal, (which I’m sure is the dream of every elite athlete) especially as my country has not got any olympic medals yet and I want to be the one that will bring the first home to Albania. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

IG @evangelia_veli




LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................