Tuesday 7 December 2021

12 Questions with CrossFit/Grid Athlete Jamie McElwain

1) Who is Jamie McElwain (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself? (hobbies, etc) 

Jamie McElwain- I am originally from Long Island, New York. But I live in sunny south Florida now.  Daytime hours I am an elementary physical education teacher.  I have been teaching for 10.5 years and love to encourage and inspire young children to excel physically and mentally. I am obsessed with my two french bulldogs, I love to cook....but more importantly I love to eat.  I spend a lot of time reading and cruising down the beach on my bike.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

I started at Crossfit Boynton Beach about 9 years ago, I went on and off for my first two years there and then really began to make the gym more of a priority.  I was teaching across the street from the gym and would always see people running, so I walked in the door to check it out and have been there ever since.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them? (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

The most challenging part of my journey has been tackling my nutrition. Prior to finding Crossfit I was a competitive runner in college, I fell into a slump when I stopped running competitively and gained about 50lbs.  After years of trying so many different paths to fuel my training I dialed in huge and learned everything I could about tracking macros.  The change to my body and performance that came from "figuring it out" was huge for me. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).  

I follow the Black Sheep Gang programming at Crossfit Boynton Beach. Training 5-6 days a week but I always love going for long slow runs down by the beach at least once a week. I have been calculating, cycling and writing my own nutrition plan for a few years now. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future)
 
Rest is just as important as training and nutrition.  Not just taking time off from the gym to recover but mentally giving myself a break.  When I don't allow myself a pause in training and in my nutrition I have a harder time pushing myself.  

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?   

OH WHERE TO START! I love pizza but my favorite snack is animal crackers and I'm talking like A LOT of animal crackers.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

I swear by my reds and greens.  Although I focus on eating something green in every meal I feel like they work wonders and really help with my digestion.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why? 

I would have spent much more time dialing into my nutrition and prioritizing how to eat right to fuel my workouts.  It is impossible to out work a poor diet.  

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?   

I look up to Kelsey Keil majorly.  She is driven, she doesn't take her training days for granted and she has branched off and tried new things.  Her competitive drive is inspiring and it has been amazing to watch her journey.  She doesn't pretend everything is always sunshine and daisies, she is the real real. Her attitude is infectious and I love how transparent she is when she talks about her nutrition.  

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be? 

Be consistent and pay attention to your own goals. Dream big and do NOT underestimate yourself. Patience is key, nothing will happen overnight but the journey to accomplish your goals is amazing!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

My goal is stay healthy, physically, mentally, and emotionally.  OH and also for my team and I to crush at Wodapalooza in January 2022.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

instagram: @jamiemcel

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................