Saturday 11 December 2021

12 Questions with CrossFit/Grid League Athlete Katie Mork

1) Who is Katie Mork (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself? (hobbies, etc) 

I am from Harker Heights, TX. I work full time as a High School math teacher and coach a couple classes a week at Crossfit Cataclysm. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my three dogs, doing jigsaw puzzles, playing video games (switch/PC), and going to the gym! 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

I have been training for something for most of my life! I was a competitive gymnast for about 8 years. In college I trained for long-ish distance running and picked up weightlifting/bodybuilding. In 2012 I saw the crossfit games on TV and thought it looked like so much fun! I was missing that element of competition that I grew up on and in December of 2012 I did a foundations class and have been hooked since. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them? (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)
 
My biggest challenge has mainly been fueling myself properly and good nutrition. In early 2020 I was in a pretty good place when it came to my nutrition and my body weight. When the pandemic started I did not handle the isolation and stress of being quarantined very well. The stress of the following school year didn't help! After giving myself some grace and with the support of my WAG coach I am feeling more like myself from before the pandemic.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).  

Currently, I train 5 days a week. I get individualized programming in which my coach gives me a good blend of Crossfit and Olympic Weightlifting. When we get closer to the season more GRID specific work will get added back in. 

For nutrition I use Working Against Gravity for guidance and support. I count macros and have some flexibility in my diet. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future) 

It's not necessarily something new I learned this year, but I've rediscovered how much food really plays a part in how you feel and perform in the gym. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?   

Pizza and ice cream! 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

Protein powder. Eating enough protein from whole sources has always been a struggle.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why? 

I'm not sure I would do anything differently from what I do now. If this is a go back in time and start over with what I know now type of situation I would take more rest days. I never took rest days when I first started. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?   

My teammates (both the Gainesville Wild and people from my home gym) and the community at our gym. It's the people at the gym that make me excited to go in everyday. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be? 

More than one piece of advice but...   Be patient, be consistent, and do your best for how you feel each day.
 
11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

I have been working on my RMU capacity and technique so I can eventually learn how to butterfly them! 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

Instagram @_morkie

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................