Wednesday 12 February 2020

12 Questions With CrossFit Athlete Kelly Friel

1) Who is Kelly Friel? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

Born and raised in Southampton. A wife to @simonfriel, a mum to 2 daughters aged 13 and 15.  We have a french bulldog called Hugo who I must say is adorable but cheeky. I qualified for the Crossfit Games in 2018 & 2019 as a master athlete- both times taking home a silver medal. I Co own Crossfit Southampton

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I started training in 2013 (so 7 years now). I got introduced to Crossfit by my Friend Ben. Allen who originally opened Crossfit Southampton since that day I have never looked back. I have never had a professional sporting background but have always loved sport and Crossfit pushes me like nothing has before. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I had an injury back in 2017 where i had a shoulder impingement ( I couldn’t hang from the rig without pain) I had to fully rest this for 4 months and not undertake any kipping movement or any overhead movement if it caused pain. It was tough but I had to believe in my physio an d rehab- touch wood its been ok since.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate)

I train 5 days a week with 2 rest days (some weeks i may have the odd active recovery day so like some swimming) 

Diet - I follow We Dominate Nutrition- this helps me keep on track and ensure my body is fuelled everyday correctly.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future)

Food is fuel- Before speaking with We Dominate Nutrition I always thought that i was eating enough- turns out I wasn’t. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

I do love waffles and ice cream!!!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

GLC2000

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

Start it younger - not at the age of 36- ha ha!!!! Make sure you look after your body- ensure you have rest days and mobilise/stretch. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

In the Crossfit world- It would have to be the Legend Samantha Briggs- one of the most humble, down to earth athletes I know and an awesome one too!!!!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Take it steady when you first start- enjoy the journey and most of all have fun doing it. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

Enjoy 2020 CRossfit season- see if I can qualify for a few individual sanctioned events and also take part as a Team. 

To nail my gymnastics movements once and for all. For those people that don’t know me - Muscle ups have been my nemesis - i want these to turn into a strength.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram- @KELFRIEL

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................