Thursday 16 December 2021

12 Questions with CrossFit/Grid League Athlete Jused Melian

1) Who is Jused Melian? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

Hi everyone, I am Jused Melian aka Jay aka Jay Time lol… I was born in Havana Cuba “yes a little cray cray”  on October 31st “yes a Halloween baby” in 1981 “yes a masters athlete.” I left Cuba when I was about 3 1/2 yrs old. Lived in LA for about a yr and ever since then have lived in MiA. I graduated from Coral Gables Sr. High School but attended Miami High for most of my high school yrs in which I played basketball for the school. Flash forward many many  yrs I  am now a super proud mom of the most amazing young lady in the world, I have worked with children with special needs for over 17 yrs and I’m honored to currently be a  player for the most amazing team in the FGL, The South Beach Palms. 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been doing CrossFit for almost 4 years now. Before CF I actually did obstacle coarse racing for about 2 years. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most challenging part of the journey has been balancing my time in the gym while trying to learn so many new skills and stay injury free. I never really lifted weights or did any kind of gymnastics so jumping into CF was a bit foreign. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).  

During Grid season I tend to step up my training and work out for about 3 hrs a day 5-6 days a week. Most of my trainings comes from still work. I try to be the best all around player that I can be to always be ready to help out my team whenever needed. In regards to my diet I follow RP. My schedule can be a little hectic so checking in and following macros keeps me accountable. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future) 

These past year has definitely taught me that less is often more in the sport. Less hours of training and more time doing rehab and just simply taking care of your body inside and out is the key to the longevity in the sport.  

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?   

Pizza and death my chocolate nitro ice cream with a home made chocolate chip cookies… that’s it lol 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

Although I probably should, I don’t really take any supplements. Just pls let me have a FitAid after my workout.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why? 

If I was to start my journey again other then wishing  that I had started earlier I wouldn’t change a thing. I strongly believe that God has placed me at this place and in this time for a specific reason and this is still the beginning of my journey. As an athlete we are always motiving those aground us. Your everyday people that maybe don’t work out get motivated by your story and often think “I can also do it” I want people to relate to me just AS I AM and believe that they also can! As a female that never was pretty enough or fit in,  as an over weight child, as an  unhealthy adult, as a single mother, as a person with injuries, as a homeless, as a person that has been in foster homes, as a sinner and as a child of Christ just  AS I AM. 

Psalm 46:5 God Is Within Her, She Will Not Fail.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?   

All of the amazing women in the Florida Grid Teams. I mean have you seen them? There isn’t anything that the males can do that they can’t. This is the future that our young girls have to look forward to and I couldn’t think of a better paved road in the fitness industry. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be? 

Start today or tomorrow you would have wished that you started yesterday. 

Joshua 1:9

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

One of my goals for this year is to  officially become an owner of one of the kids Grid team. Last year I was given the opportunity to coach them for a few games and it was priceless. The funny thing about it is that we as adults always think that we need to teach them but in reality it’s us that they teach. I don’t want to coach to change the outcome of a game, I want to coach to change the outcome of someone’s life. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

Insta @Jay_Time_


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................