Thursday 8 February 2018

12 Questions with Strength/Powerlifting Coach Bonnie Schroeder


1) Who is Bonnie Schroeder? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am 30 years old, living in Davenport Iowa. I work as a strength/powerlifting coach at a local gym and I also run an online coaching business. Outside of the gym I enjoy spending time with my boyfriend and pets, traveling and adventuring in new places.

2) How many years have you been training?

I ran track in highschool and college, then got into the bodybuilding world for awhile, then discovered crossfit, and finally at 27 I found powerlifting. So I have been seriously powerlifting for about 3.5 years now but I've always been active and involved with lifting since high school.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I had a very serious back injury injury in 2015 that was very hard for me to overcome. I couldn't deadlift heavy for almost six months and even had issues squatting after the initial injury. Its so hard to start back from square one when you've seen all this amazing progress and suddenly you can't even pick up a bar. Luckily, I had an amazing support system and the will to achieve is just too deeply ingrained in me so there was nothing for me to do but recover and become better than I was.  

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I train 6 days a week, two-three squat days, two-three bench days, and one deadlift day. Those days also include accessory work that will transfer to and improve my main lifts. I currently eat intuitively and eat what I need to perform. I look at food as fuel and I always make sure I have enough carbs and protein in my diet to train at my best.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

Mostly that everyone is different. There is no one diet program or work out program that fits all. A coach has to understand that everything has to be tailored to the individual and that is without exception. A newbie might see initial gains or diet progress on a basic template program but to really achieve big goals, programs have to be individualized. And its OKAY that everyone's different!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

My cheat meal foods would definitely pizza and ice cream. I can't live without those two things.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

LAX by Anastasisnutra. Its a relaxing, pre-bedtime tea that is meant to relieve stress and anxiety and tastes amazing!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would've gotten into powerlifting immediately after finishing track in college. I'm glad I spent years in the body building and crossfit world because it gave me so much experience, knowledge and appreciate for those sports, BUT powerlifting is 100% my niche and is definitely a sport of longevity so I wish I would've discovered the sport sooner.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to Jen Thompson the most. Not only is she an incredible athlete but she is also a mother, educator, and has done amazing things for women involved in powerlifting. She has shown what you can be capable of with long term dedication and her passion for the sport is evident in everything she does.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

I would advise new athletes to learn all you can! If you are passionate about the sport start reading about it. Educate yourself on history of the sport, biomechanics, technique, programs, and so on. Gather as much information as you can and make yourself a student of the sport.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

My current goals are a new wilks and total PR at the 2018 Arnold Pro American Meet!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

You can find me @bonschro on instagram!


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................