Monday 23 April 2018

12 Questions With Crossfit Athlete/Gymnastics Coach Casey Campbell


1) Who is Casey Campbell? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was a gymnast for 17 years and competed for the University of Denver. I took a few years away from sports after school and only got dragged into CrossFit because my husband wanted to do it. (I had had zero interest initially) My husband and I live in the Seattle area where we coach gymnastics together. I don’t have a lot of free time, but when I do, I like to read and spend time with my family.

2) How many years have you been training?

I’ve been doing Crossfit for almost 5 years.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Honestly, the beginning of my Crossfit journey came very easily to me. Gymnasts make good Crossfitters (even after 6 years of retirement 😆) The hardest part has been living up to my own expectations. I have very high standards for myself which, of course, continue to rise each year, and it has been difficult to learn to accept failure as a part of that process.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I usually workout around 9am and get everything done in one session before work in the afternoon. As far as diet goes, I’m very lucky to have a husband who cooks for us and prepares our meals for the whole day. This year I’ve been working with John Swanson on my nutrition and I’m still learning how to best time things to most benefit my training and recovery.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I’ve learned, or really I’m still learning, that more is not always better and I have to listen to my body to do what is best for ME, not just try to do things because everyone else seems to be doing it. I’ve also been trying to make more time to take care of myself mentally and make sure I build in some downtime in my life.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

A giant ice cream cone.

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

I’m not huge on supplements but I do feel that creatine has made a big difference for me in the last couple years. 

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I think I would emphasize more traditional “cardio” type activities like running and swimming. I really hate them but there is more value in them than I ever considered before.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to anyone who is real, genuine, and honest for the sake of authenticity, not for attention. We’re all human and I appreciate those who can share their humanity and stay humble no matter how many followers or “likes” they have.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

I would say enjoy the process (and then learn to enjoy it again when it changes) and set small goals. If you’re staring up at a giant mountain, getting to the peak seems impossible at times, but if you put one foot in front of the other you’ll get there eventually.

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

Of course I’d love to make it back to the Games. But first, I want to focus on enjoying training for regionals and being more grateful for the experience I get to have regardless of the results.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@caseyjcampbell



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................