Wednesday 21 March 2018

12 Questions with Matt Vincent (Highland Games World Champion, Brand Owner, Podcaster, Writer & Adventurer)


1) Who is Matthew Vincent? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am from Baton Rouge Louisiana. I own HVIII BRAND GOODS, run the UMSO podcast, Create content for my youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-EHVRgFKSj33ZyWj1NFiRg), write a few books, do some seminars, and love all things physical and strength. Hobbies are training, cycling, adventure, and just trying to find new experiences.

2) How many years have you been training?

I have been training for sports performance for 23 years. Football, track and field, strongman, weightlifting, highland games, and anything else that has crossed my path.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Most Challenging part so far has been injuries in 2016 I finished that season ranked number 2 in the world. After that season had the plan to get my knee sorted out through an ACL repair and other procedures. None of this quite went as planned and the knee is in worse shape that anticipated. So after 7 moderately successful surgeries and dealing with chronic pain it was time to retire from highland games and make a plan moving forward. It was a tough pill to swallow no longer being a competitor. Dealing with reality of chronic pain and not being able to climb a set of stairs definitely helped set that reality in. I was able to overcome by shifting my focus away from the things that I could no longer do and dive head first into the things that I am capable of doing. Pushing myself with rehab and nutrition to lose 60lbs and get out fo pain. Learn more about what works for me and how I can manage the new situation I was in.m

While I am sad that I am no longer competing in the sport that I am good at and love it is ok that the chapter is closed. It was going to one day anyway. Moving on was the realization that there was more to this life I wanted to pursue and that the cost was no longer worth the reward.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Typical workout is I bench, squat, deadlift, and overhead press once a week moderately heavy every week forever. With less of a focus on absolute strength and performance now I can shit to overall health and strength for better performing life. I like to do conditioning (Cycling) few times a week. Also looking to pursue new sports such as BJJ and find new things to learn. Mobility and rehab are still a big focus and the work needed to keep progressing in both those areas will continue to be important.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I am learning what works best for me as an injured and aging athlete. While I am 35 I have put some good miles on this body without a lot of the proper care. It was time to stay on that gas pedal. Now it is time to readjust and learn more about what can go forward. Changing supplementation from performance in the gym to performing my life better has helped. Using nootropics and CBD to manage things better has been a big change. Also change diet to a more ketogenic approach mixed with intermittent fasting has given me a lot more mental clarity and managing inflammation through nutrition as well as exercise.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Probably a giant burger and beer.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I have two Alpha Brain and CBD oil from Cured Nutrition.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

Not a thing. I am very happy with where I am now. This place I am at currently is the accumulation fo all those small and big decisions that got me here.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to the guys that are out there and have been doing it for decades with out having to promote fuckery. Guys like Kelly Starrett, Jim Wendler, and Mark Bell. Guys that are doing things their way and not pissing and moaning about how things are not fair or they should be respected more because of a thing they did years ago. Guys that manage to stay relevant after they are done competing without having to always harp back on it.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Be consistent and listen to the guys that have the real experience. Don’t fall for short term bullshit. Stick to plans that are going to work for decades not months.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

Working on continuing to get my knee and leg back to proper levels of strength and performance. Continuing to grow HVIII Brand, and the other things I have going. Keep figuring out how to share the right info via writing, seminars, and podcast. Work on seeking out more people who influence me in and out of training and learning how to apply those lessons so I am living a better life.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

IG @IHVIIIMATTVINCENT
UMSO PODCAST

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................