Friday 2 February 2018

12 Questions with Andre Crews (150 Bay CrossFit)


1) Who is Andre Crews? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m the owner and Head Coach of 150 Bay CrossFit in Jersey City, NJ. I’m 31 years old, married to my best friend Sinead, and have a 2 year old golden retriever named Hawley! I was born in Washington,
DC and grew up in Virginia. I got my degree in Finance from the University of Pittsburgh and discovered the fitness industry after working in corporate banking (and being out of shape) for a few
years. I’m a simple man. I love working out, coaching, and helping people achieve their best so my job is kind of my hobby haha. I enjoy hanging with friends, playing with my dog, dancing, cooking, and good whiskey!

2) How many years have you been training?

Since 2012!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Physically, the hardest thing was in summer 2016 when i blew up my back. I was overtraining and not spending enough time mobilizing. The injury was so bad i literally couldn’t stand upright for more than 30 seconds without being in debilitating pain. I was honestly worried I’d never be able to lift weights again. But i spent the rest of that year rehabbing, mobilizing, and cleaning up my lifting technique.

Today I’m stronger and moving better than ever! Career wise, opening 150 Bay CrossFit was a true test of patience and perseverance! We were supposed to open in summer 2016 but between landlord issues and red tape with the city, we didn’t open until late October 2017. My undying will to accomplish my dream and a no quit attitude got me through it haha!

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Workouts vary on a daily basis but typically my week looks like this:

Sunday: Olympic lifting + team workout
Monday: Heavy Squats + MetCon
Tuesday: Gymnastics + MetCon
Wednesday: Functional Bodybuilding
Thursday: Rest or active recovery
Friday: Olympic lifting + team workout 
Saturday: rest

Diet is high in protein (40% macro intake), then split the rest between fat and carbs depending on my workouts. Fat usually higher than carbs unless workouts are very long and sweaty.

3500-4500+ calories everyday.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

Less is more! It’s very easy to overanalyze and do too much. It’s ok to have multiple goals and hobbies, but focus on one thing at a time on any given day! Don’t get fixated on the destination. Enjoy each and every moment of the journey!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Double (or triple) bacon cheese burger with blue cheese, cheddar, bbq sauce, onion rings and fries! And a nice hoppy IPA to wash it down!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Glucosamine! This anti inflammatory was crucial in the rehab process from my herniation and subsequent sciatica! And it keeps my inflammation at bay from my daily fitness!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

When i was a kid my dad wanted me to do gymnastics. I thought it was just for girls so i said no. Retrospectively i would have had a lot more body awareness and strength throughout my entire fitness journey if i had taken classes back then! And as an adult, i would have started squatting earlier. I didn’t really start squatting “heavy” until 2013 when i was 27. I’d be so much stronger today on all of my lifts if i started when i was in college!

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

The Rock! He’s been my hero since I was 10 or 11 years old! I read his autobiography “The Rock Says” cover to cover in like 3 days when it came out in 1999. Aside from being an absolute beast of a human, his life has been an amazing journey! Plus he has an incredibly charismatic, motivational, and funny personality! I wanna be like him when i grow up!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Be patient! Find a proven but basic strength program and put in the work! Rome wasn’t built in a day. But if you work hard and stay consistent, you can look like a Greek god!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

400 lb Front Squat (current 360)
350 lb clean and jerk (current 325)
285 snatch (current 270)
30 muscleups unbroken (current 22)
Grow membership to 200 at my gym 150 Bay CrossFit!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

IG: @andrecrews

And I’ll be in the April edition of Men’s Health Magazine!


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................