Monday 19 February 2018

12 Questions With CrossFit Athlete/Coach James Rankin


1) Who is James Rankin? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

I’m from Derry in Northern Ireland, I currently reside in Dublin. I’m a CrossFit coach at CrossFit Perpetua Dublin. I’m an huge coffee lover, and a foodie. the way to my heart is definitely through my stomach. I’m an avid book reader, covering all genres and topics, and I’m obsessed with all things strength and conditioning related. I spend time reading and learning from people in a vast range of sports and fitness endeavours. 


2) How many years have you been training?

I’ve been “training” since the age of 16 when I first could join a gym. I played rugby all through school and my university years, here I was able to build a solid training base, learning how to properly squat bend and deadlift. I managed to find CrossFit in my final year at Uni, and fell in love with it instantly and never looked back. 


3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

I’ve been very fortunate and not had any major set backs since I began training. I’ve had a few niggles here and there, but nothing worth writing home about. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Constantly varied, I don't follow a typical upper - lower or body part split. Within the sport of CrossFit there are certain movements that crop up again and again, and I’ll spend time covering these throughout a week. I do revolve my training around the main compound lifts, (squat bench and deadlift) as well as the olympic lifts. The rest of my training is made up of a mix of gymnastics and conditioning as well as trying new things in and out of the gym Diet wise, again I don’t follow anything stringently. I do dip in and out of tracking my macros, but I find i perform and look my best by eating intuitively; If I'm hungry, I eat until I’m not. Simples. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

Over the past year… thats tough to narrow down. I feel like in the past 2 years or so I’ve learned and developed a lot more knowledge surrounding programming, specifically for CrossFit athletes. This has come through trail and error with myself, trialling things on other athletes, and discussing ideas with people who are more knowledgable than me in that area. I’ve learned a lot more in terms of nutrition as well, specifically the importance of carbs, especially in high intensity work like CrossFit. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Ah, much easier question. Pizza, followed by a tub of Ben and Jerrys. Never gets old for me! 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Coffee. Does that count? I don't really use any supplements, other than the occasional dose of whey in my overnight oats, and cups of coffee.  

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

More hypertrophy work. I started training with the perception that hypertrophy work was just for wannabe pretty boys, I just wanted to get strong. With hindsight, I’d love the added benefits of having bigger muscles. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Everyone. I truly believe you can learn something from everyone, regardless of their background. Similarly, I try not to put anyone up on a pedestal, and treat everyone with the same level of respect. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Find someone you trust. Forget how they look or what they say they can do. Find a level of trust, and buy in 100% listen to what they say, and stick to it for at least 6 months. Too many people love to chop and change what they do and who they listen to. Pick someone, and hold true to them for a prolonged time. I guarantee that this is where most people will see the best results. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

Ah now that would be telling. You’ll see soon. Something for the Weightlifting loving CrossFitter. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram is where I waste all my time on social media @jamessrankinn



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................