Thursday 15 March 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete Emily Abbott


1) Who is Emily Abbott? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

My name is Emily Abbott- I really can’t identify myself into words (as they say- trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth. But if I must: I am from Calgary, Canada. I right now purely train Crossfit and coach but I am definitely looking to expand on the next part of my life with some intriguing business opportunities. When I am not in the gym I love pursuing movement outdoors like mountain biking, surfing, rock climbing, yoga, dancing and singing karaoke is my all time favourite. 

2) How many years have you been training?

For about 5 years. Holy shit! 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

I think the hardest thing as an athlete is to put all of your efforts into training only to not meet your expectations you have set for yourself. Then only to take a few months to recover and try to do it all over again with the same motivation but a different expectation paradigm. But maybe that is the point of pursuing it all- growth of mindset and transcendence over menial bullshit. That my life is apart of something greater. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I workout 2 times a day for the most part, 5 days a week. I love to have my weekends for adventure. I try to eat clean, whole foods and right now I am trying less carbs, more fat and more protein. Seems alright. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

Training- more rest is a good thing. Listening to my body on a whole new level. 

Lifestyle- have more fun, take more risks, do weird shit and express myself in more fluid ways

Nutrition- eating to feel optimal- way more veggies and water drinking! 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

PIZZZAAAAAAAAA or an amazing bowl of pasta- (preferably homemade by Momma Lady Jane Abbot). 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Vitamin D 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would listen to my body more and especially what my menstrual cycle is telling me. So many times I pushed through but would have been much wiser to stay home and rest. I over trained a lot! I would also pay attention more to the mind-body connection as well. It is very real and we tend to get disconnected from it. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Elisabeth Akinwale because even though she has finished Crossfit she is still doing cool shit in her own enlightened way without a ton of BS. Same with Krissy Mae Cagney- she is a bad ass mamma jamma. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Learn to do things right, take responsibility for your own body and mind- always take ownership to learn and grow outside your gym! 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

Start an e-commerce business and help women feel fucking awesome in their own skin, and to make waves if they want to. I would love to host a retreat for bad ass ladies to get out of their shell and the let the lid off on emotional expression. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

I.G:Abbott the Red
Youtube: Abbott The Red (follow us for some crazy ass videos)
Twitter: @Abbottski439


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................