Wednesday 5 February 2020

12 Questions With MMA Fighter Sophie Luxton

1) Who is Sophie Luxton? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am originally from and spent most of my childhood in Preston (UK) Growing up my parents always encouraged me to join sports clubs and compete. I spent years training trampolining and then worked my way through just about every sport until I found kickboxing and then MMA. After moving around over the years I am now settled in Birmingham. I moved here around 3 months ago to reside by the gym I am now training/fighting out of - Renegade. Along side my training I also work full time in an office to pay my bills and fund my training.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been training Martial Arts for around 7 years. At the time I joined i was still at school and struggling to find a hobby i could get my teeth into. My dad told me to come and try some kickboxing classes he'd been going to, and i did. When i first started i had no intention of ever fighting, and no desire to. For the first 6 months I would just run away from everyone in sparring and was too scared to even throw a punch. After about a year i had my first kickboxing fight and i caught the bug. I decided i wanted to train everything, which was challenging because women's MMA hadn't taken off yet, So most men where reluctant to have a girl in the class.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

My biggest set back was when i moved away from my first gym. I had spent the first 5 years of my training there and i struggled to settle into other gyms after this because nothing compared the bond i had with them. For this reason i took about 18 months out of fighting, i lost a lot of confidence in my ability, i put on a lot weight and lost my fitness. Which made going back to training even harder, because i couldn't keep up and do the things i used to. I ended up taking a fight, which i did train hard for but mentally i wasn't quite were i needed to be. Losing this was the hardest loss on me through my career, at this point i almost gave up on fighting altogether but some how found Renegade and I've never been so confident in my skills and training.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I train everyday, 3 sessions minimum. I do a lot of skill work and live rounds in jiu jitsu, wrestling, cage work, mma, kickboxing, boxing and muay thai. I also run 3 times a week (10k,5k, and sprints) I swim 5-6 days a week and will do strength work at least 2 days a week. I have so much confidence in my training and know i am working with some of the best coaches in the world like Leon Edwards, Tom Breese, Dean James, Ash Begg, Chris Miah the list could go on but you don't get much more high level than this. I eat well, i maintain weight on A LOT of calories and i enjoy a well balanced diet. I do eat a lot of dairy and fattier red meats, and i love salad with every meal and enjoy treats on a regular basis.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I have learnt a lot in the last year about training smart, and what is working well for my body. After every fight camp i like to reflect on what aspects went well and what i'd like to change about my training. I work very hard but am now aware of when my body needs to rest. Renegade has such a focused and visionary environment, it's not hard to have confidence in your training and trust the process. I trust my knowledge in nutrition and have learnt a lot from Mr Sport, I feel very confident that i will perform at my best. In my general life i am finding more time to spend with friends and family that support my vision, it's good for me to have some mental time away from training.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

I love food sooo much and love to cook. But if i had to choose i would say some big tower burger with all the works. Dessert always the more sickly the better!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Other than general vitamins, I really rate creatine monohydrate. I think it's something that every athlete should look into...

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I started training when i was very young and i have learn't so much from the success/mistakes i have made. But if i could of changed my mindset in a way i would. I think the most important thing is that you can never please everyone. You can only make the right decisions for yourself. I spent a lot of time worrying about what other people would think or how people would react if i made changes and decisions for me. I've come to realise that you can never make everyone happy - so just make yourself happy.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

I look up with so much pride to the people i train with everyday. We have the strongest team of fighters in the UK with multiple fighters signed to UFC, Bellator and Cage Warriors, as well as a huge team of other high level professionals and amateurs. Before i trained at Renegade i used to dream of fighting on one of these big promotions. Now it's become a vision i know will happen.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

You will never be ready for your first fight, it's not like anything else you experience in your life. Enjoy your training and fighting and don't let bumps in the road stop you from achieving your end goal. No vision is too big

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I aim to have 4 more fights and wins this year against accomplished opponents, i'm looking to pick up another belt and by the end of 2020 will look to evaluate my options with my management looking into 2021.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram - @sophieluxtonmma
Facebook - @sophienojokeluxton

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................