Friday 14 February 2020

12 Questions With Olympic Weightlifter Travis Cooper

1) Who is Travis Cooper? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am from Tyrone, GA, a small town south of Atlanta. I am an Olympic weightlifter, software engineer, and problem solver. I enjoy trying new things but also keeping a routine. Learning new things is my passion, and I try to continuously learn from others.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been training since 2004 when I started weightlifting as a sport. I started lifting as a part of my training for other sports, and once I found out that weightlifting was its own sport, I decided to train specifically for weightlifting. I found my first coach, CJ Stockel, at Velocity Sports Performance and the rest is history.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Understanding that I am on this journey for myself and not for other people. As weightlifting gained popularity, I think that training changed for a lot of lifters to make it fun to watch. I have never been the most popular lifter so I think that has been a huge advantage. Not being as focused on my public persona has allowed me to start a career while still training at a high level. I have been able to sustain setbacks and tough times in training since I did not rely on weightlifting for an income or to impress others.      

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate)

I usually train 5 days/week. My training program typically consist of snatch and clean and jerk variations as well as strength work such as squats, pulls, and various accessory exercises. My entire training is dedicated to finding ways to snatch and clean and jerk the most weight. Sometimes that requires more accessory work than others depending on what my perceived weakness is at the time. I try to work on my weaknesses while keeping my strengths strong. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future)

RP Strength made learning nutrition for me easy. They have a logical and scientific approach which was very beneficial. As for lifestyle, keep stress low. The key to happiness is finding a balance between taking on new and challenging tasks without spreading yourself too thin. If you want to reach a lofty goal in one area of life, then you have to put focus on that area instead of focusing on many different areas at once.     

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

I enjoy eating pizza and ice cream even though I rarely eat either of these things.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Creatine 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would take my time and focus on correct movement patterns understanding that there is plenty of time to gain strength. If you are good to your body, then your weightlifting career can be a long and enjoyable one.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

I admire anyone who works hard. I can appreciate other's accomplishments, and I enjoy seeing other people succeed.  Anyone who is taking steps towards their ultimate goals has my respect.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

 All athletes with experience stress the idea of patience. I would reiterate that this sport takes time. Focusing on the right things requires patience, as the results will be delayed when making technical changes. I believe tough training can be sustained longer than most people think. If I knew that it was possible to improve well into your 30's when I was 16, I would have focused more on the long term.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I hope to win the national championships several more times throughout my career as well as continue training at the highest level I can. I would like to continue to pursue the Olympics.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

IG - @traviscooper77kg 

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................