Monday 15 October 2018

12 Questions with Figure Competitor Nikki Amrhein


1) Who is Nikki Amrhein? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I'm a Florida girl, born and raised. I attended Florida State where I graduated with an Accounting degree (math nerd). I now live in Greenville, SC with my two daughters. A total foodie when not in prep, because I mean who doesn't love food!?! Love to travel to new places, especially ones with beaches. I'm a huge music fan, my tastes range anywhere from Drake to Bishop Briggs depending on my mood.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I started in the gym shortly after I graduated college because I wanted to loose some weight but instantly fell in love with weight training. I had no clue about competing back then but it was always a goal of mine. After I had my daughters, I again reconnected with my love of the gym. In 2014,I competed in my first bodybuilding competition in Figure. Since then I've done 7 shows, 5 local and the 2 most recent being National level. My first two shows I competed in Figure then moved up to Women's Physique.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most challenging part I feel is time management. Between working a full time job, being a mom, meal prepping, and training there isn't much wiggle room in my day. I'm a huge planner so that helps me manage everything on my plate.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

This is something that is constantly changing based on my goals at the moment. In prep, I always do fasted cardio in the morning and cardio post workout, time depends on how close to the show I am but could be anywhere from 20-45 minute sessions each. I follow a basic bodybuilding training split and train big muscle groups like legs and back twice a week. Training 5-6 days a week. As far as nutrition, that also varies based on prep/offseason, typically the main difference being carbs. I've never gone zero carbs but in general I prefer a low carb/higher fat diet. It just works well for me and I typically function just fine a far as energy and hunger is concerned.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

One thing I've really learned about is nutrition timing, pre and post workout specifically and which foods my body reacts well with and which do not. Making sure I'm training with full intensity but also refueling properly to achieve those gains we are always chasing after.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Do I have to pick just one thing?!? Soooo many good options but I'm crazy about tacos and for dessert probably some of that bomb Oreo cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Right now I love Vasogen by VMI Sports. It's a non-stim preworkout blood amplifier and gives insane pumps!!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I'd say I wish I hired a coach sooner. I tried to do things on my own for a while but there is something to be said for having professional knowledge. Make sure you research and find the right coach that fits your goals and personality.  

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

Dana Linn Bailey, hands down is someone I've always looked up to. I admire not only her badass physique but also her attitude towards life in general. She is not afraid to stand out and be different which absolutely love!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Have patience. Nothing worthwhile comes easy. Do the hard work, stick to the plan and never, ever give up!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

Right now I'm currently in offseason mode and preparing to come back on the National stage again in late 2019! My training will consist of pushing the boundaries of my strength while also adding quality muscle.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

IG- nikkifitmama



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................