Tuesday 26 November 2019

12 Questions with CrossFit Coach/Athlete Adrian Conway


1) Who is Adrian Conway? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I'm from EVERYWHERE IN US. I say that jokingly, but it's true. I was born in Pennsylvania but moved around to many states as I spent one year with my Mom's family and one year with My Dad's family and continued that pattern until my sophomore year of high school. I'm a disciple of Christ, husband, father, coach and entrepreneur. I Co founded FNX in 2017, I coach for Brute Strength, co own Live in Victory CF and still am fortunate enough to be a member of CFHQ Seminar staff. Between those things, other than training my body I don't have too many habits, luckily I love what I do.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been training since I was 13 years old. It really started just hanging around the gym while my parents worked out. Both my Mom and Dad and even my step parents were active and in the gym regularly. I really got rolling at 14 in the 9th grade after I broke my left arm and shattered the growth plates in my humerus. It originally began as physical therapy for that injury.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Injuries are the hardest part of being a training athlete. We do everything we can to be better, to lift heavier, run faster, build more endurance and yet we forget about the inherent risk when doing so. Although it's a minor set back, it can be a pretty emotional and psychological experience. I overcome them by learning as much as I can from each one. I consider what I was doing, what my recovery was like, what could have potentially influenced it. With those things in mind I hope to avoid the same thing occurring in the future and those injuries have taught me many lessons I can now teach to other athletes I personally coach.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

Right now I have about an hour a day to workout. I often just hop in the class WOD with my gym Live in Victory CrossFit, or I hop in on what the Brute Compete group is doing! But basically I'm doing CrossFit in it's purest form right now, CV, FM, HI about 5 days a week, sometimes 4. When opportunity comes I love to still practice skills/ drills and add in fun accessories as well. My nutrition is very basic, I eat meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar (aside from Friday and Saturday nights). It works.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I learn something new all the time. I'm always browsing the web for the leaders of education in our sport of fitness and what kind of content they are publishing along with the personal knowledge I gain from experience, programming and coaching. Yet, the biggest lesson I've learned in regards to all 3 is the "better is better". Focus more on quality and less on quantity in all of those practices.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

For years my answer has been donuts, like a dozen, all the flavors. However, since my Wife was pregnant with our son ( so the last 2.5 years or so) it's been Nielson's Frozen Custard preferably vanilla concrete + cookie dough, + oreo's. Yes......

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Clearly I'm biased and really want to say everything FNX carries but my daily go to I can't live without is simply our Rebalance supergreen's product! 8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why? Train less volume. I'd have had a healthier and more successful journey as an individual competitor, wouldn't have missed the Games in 2014 and 2016.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

The list is too long here for me to share. I look up to anyone whom is leading from the front in their craft. I beg, borrow and steal from any great coach and entrepreneur who teaches based on truth and not gimmicks and strives for success but most importantly leads by example.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Take your time. It takes time.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

Lot's and you'll see.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: @adrianconway_ and @fnx_fit

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................