Sunday 19 January 2020

12 Questions with Professional MMA Fighter Kayla Hracho


1) Who is Kayla Hracho? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born and raised in Reading, PA. Growing up, I was constantly playing sports and was involved in basketball, softball and field hockey throughout my school years. I graduated college with a Bachelors degree in Clinical Psychology. I moved to South Florida 3 years ago to pursue my MMA dream.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc).

When I graduated college, I moved to New Hampshire to accept a full time job working with kids with severe mental and behavioral disorders. I was let go from the job 2 months later. I felt like my life was over and I was forced to move back home with mom and dad. Broke and lost, I went to 6 different gyms ‪in one week‬ taking advantage of free day passes. The last gym I walked into was a boxing gym. I started boxing at age 23. 

I was working full time, and determined to find the best gyms to train at. I took jobs and moved around just to be with the best. I had decided to move to the Bronx, NY to train with a guy named Marcos Suarez. 4 days before my move, I went to visit a friend and boxing trainer in New Jersey named Anthony Rodriguez. We were playing around and hitting some pads, and he posted a video of our work on Instagram. The right eyes happened to come across the video. Din Thomas liked the video and complimented our work. I ended up messaging him and trying to “sell” myself as a fighter, looking for an opportunity to visit the world renowned American Top Team. After a short conversation, Din realized I was serious about improving my skills as a fighter and he asked when I wanted to come visit. I put my NY trip on hold, took the little bit of money I had left to buy a flight to South Florida to visit ATT. I started a whole new sport, MMA, at the age of 25 (I’m now 28). The rest is history. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Everyday is challenging. But, I would say the most challenging part has been learning to balance work/training life. I am a full time fighter but still must work to pay my bills, and balancing that has been very difficult and at times, nearly impossible. I recall times I was in fight camp trying to cut weight, serving tables full time every weekend, and not having gas money to get to the gym, or not having the money to eat healthy... so I was eating Ramen Noodles during a weight cut. I’ve conquered some hard times but always stayed focused on my goals. I never allowed the struggles to slow me down. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I train 2-3 times a day everyday, in and out of camp. Training includes live wrestling/grappling, sparring, strength and conditioning, running, a lot of drilling, boxing, striking and jiujitsu. 

I don’t cut much weight at all, but still try to eat foods that will properly full me for training. This includes a lot of eggs, oatmeal, fruit, chicken, fish, rice, veggies, and juices. I eat a lot of sushi too :-)

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I learn every single day. I’m truly blessed to train at a gym like American Top Team where I am surrounded by so much knowledge and endless mentors. This past year, the greatest thing I have learned is patience and to trust the process. This is a long road and you must enjoy the journey; but also show up every day focused on improving. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

Hmmm. I don’t eat that much junk. BUT I’ve always been a big pasta girl. I love me some pasta with chicken and vodka sauce. 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

The only supplement I take is BCAA’s and it’s really helped to aide my recovery between training sessions. 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I wish I had started earlier - but I’d say the only thing I would change is doing a better job of recovering. I would incorporate more stretching and mobility to assure my body is prepared for the work ahead and to be prepared for a long, healthy career. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Soooo many people that I’m surrounded by everyday.  My head coach, Din Thomas, has an insane work ethic and has taught me so much about the sport, mentality and life. 

I look up to fighters such as Joanna (for her savage mentality), Dustin Poirier (for his passion and grind), Jorge Masvidal (for staying motivated throughout a long career and having a well deserved breakthrough), Junior Dos Santos (for his awesome energy every single day), and Kayla Harrison (for constantly breaking barriers and having such a dominant mindset).

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Consistency is so key. Show up every single day and put in the work. Show up on days you don’t feel like it. Train hard when no one is watching. Hold yourself accountable. Do extra work. Ask questions. Show your coaches that you’re committed and excited to learn. Surround yourself with a good team and people who motivate you and make you better. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I plan to have a big year in 2020. I’d like to have 4 fights which will put me ‪at 5-0‬. I’d like to sign with the UFC at the end of this year or early next year. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram and Twitter - KayrockMMA
Facebook - Kayla Hracho

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................