Sunday 12 December 2021

12 Questions with CrossFit/Grid League Athlete Kara Palumbo

1) Who is Kara Palumbo (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself? (hobbies, etc) 

I was born in Illinois, but consider myself from Florida. I was raised in Cape Coral and I liked it so much that I bought my house here almost 8 years ago. I went to college and obtained a Bachelor’s in Business, but I thought that was boring, so I went to fire and EMT school. I am a firefighter/paramedic for South Trail Fire Department located in Fort Myers. I love my career and wouldn’t trade it for the world. I am always taking classes to further my knowledge and to be well rounded in my career. I spend a lot of my free time at my gym, CrossFit Salvation. It is like my second home and I look forward to training every single day.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

​​I have been doing CrossFit for over 8 years now. The only sport I played when I was a kid was soccer; when I walked into my gym, I had never touched a barbell and had no idea what I was doing when it came to gymnastics. The only reason I ever started CrossFit was because of my friend Bobby. He told me to come try out a class and when I finally did, I never looked back.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them? (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

I haven’t really had any major setbacks, but a huge challenge for me is finding the motivation to go to the gym after a long shift at work. I work 24 on and 48 off. Some shifts I sleep and others I will barely get an hour or two. Lack of sleep is a huge challenge; I am faced with the decision to either go to sleep when I get home or go train. As long as I listen to my body, take a rest day here and there, and eat clean, I am good to go.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).  

I normally will workout 6 days a week. I follow a program that I love and it challenges me every day. I tend to focus a lot on gymnastics, but I am starting to shift my attention to weightlifting to try and be a little more well-rounded. I am also getting better at doing accessory work and stretching after a training day. When it comes to my diet, I eat relatively clean. I count my macros and adjust them depending on what I am trying to accomplish at that time frame. I am very plain when it comes to food. My typical go-to meal is bison and rice. I also love fruit and usually snack on that when I am at the gym. I never cook at the fire house because the guys do not like my plain jane cooking. LOL 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future) 

I have learned that I am not getting any younger and that I need to focus more on my eating habits and recovery. I am the type of person that likes routine and consistency, so if I missed a day of training, I would freak out. I am still learning that it is OK to take a day off because my body needs it. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?  

My favorite cheat meal would have to be sushi or pizza. I am also a hugeeee breakfast person. Give me some pancakes, french toast, bacon, and eggs, and I am a happy girl. 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I would have to say my BCAAs and Creatine. I take them both almost everyday mixed together. I like the taste and look forward to drinking them when I am at the gym. 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?
 
I would definitely focus a lot more on my nutrition and understand the foundation of it. I also wish I would have been more focused on competing and started a training program early on.  

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to a lot of Games athletes because they are all amazing and work so hard for where they are at. More importantly though, I look up to members at my gym. I see people who I work out with everyday get better at CrossFit and better themselves. I look up to the new moms who come back to the gym after having a baby; I look up to the aspiring firefighters who are training everyday to obtain their dream job. I look up to the nurses that come to the gym after a hectic 12-hour shift. Those are all my people I look up to for when I need motivation and encouragement. If they can do it, so can I.   

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be? 

Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you cannot do something. Don’t ever stop trying. If you want it bad enough, you will go out there and make it happen. Show them who you are and make them remember you.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

One of my top goals is to just be more efficient when it comes to all gymnasty movements. I also would like to learn some advanced skills like roll to support and back uprises for GRID. Wodapalooza 2022 may or may not be on my list of goals as well 😊 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

IG: Karaann222
 

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................