Tuesday 19 November 2019

12 Questions with Personal Trainer/Coach Sarah Holden

1) Who is Sarah Holden? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m a fitness coach from Scotland. I have worked in gyms for 7 years PTing and have now transitioned onto online coaching which I love. Its so amazing being able to help so many people all over the world. I have a 1 year old baby boy so most of my free time is spent either with him, training or working at the moment. I‘m so passionate about all 3 and just love it. 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been training most of my life. I grew up as a gymnast and a swimmer. Competed in gymnastics for Scotland until I fractured my spine and took a couple years out. I then got into the gym and decided to become a trainer. Now I mainly train CrossFit style, but also won’t turn down a good leg day or a 10K run - a bit of everything really!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I got a pretty bad knee injury half way through my fitness career which really held me back. I had to adapt all my training to mostly swimming, upper body and abs but I worked around it. It was a very frustrating time in my life because mentally I really wanted to push myself but I couldn’t. I did learn a lot from this injury, the main one being patience and then of course exercise adaptation around injury which has helped me help so many people in similar situations.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

Normal workout would be focus on a lift or gymnastics movement to begin with - squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, pull up, handstand push up etc then into a higher intensity WOD. Nutrition wise I usually intermittent fast until around 11am (just not hungry in the mornings and I train strong in the mornings without breakfast - not everyone does!) then will have 3 good meals throughout the rest of the day. Drink so much water - I freak out if I dont have a bottle of water by my side at all times haha! I eat a fairly high carb diet but do not track calories or macros as I have done this for long enough in the past to know what my body requires/is taking in.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I have learnt a lot this year. My form on olympic lifts has increased - its still not perfect but a huge improvement from last year. I feel fit and healthy - this time last year I had recently just had a baby so its been a tough one building my strength back up but a great challenge all the same. I have learn so much about postpartum fitness.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Chocolate always, and I like a nice glass of malbec now and again

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

NOCCO BCAA

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I Wouldn’t change a thing. I am so happy with where I am at right now. Anything negative that has occurred has only taught me more and made me stronger. All the years of hard work and consistency have got me to such a great place now and I am so content.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to a lot of people. But I have most admiration for athletes, REAL Olympic athletes. All of them. The level they are at in INSANE and you can see how hard they work day in and out to get to the level they are at. Thats commitment for you.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Don’t be afraid. Ask if you need help. Hire a coach to help you get on track until you feel ready to go solo. No one is looking or laughing at you so hold your head up and go OWN IT!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I have some ideas for a New Year which I am working very hard on at the moment. My main focus right now is building my online coaching business further. Happy with training and nutrition currently so looking to maintain while improving fitness and skills.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram @sarahholden_fit

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................