Thursday 16 January 2020

12 Questions With CrossFit Athlete Ella Wilkinson

1) Who is Ella Wilkinson? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am 19 years old and from the UK, and live on the Wirral currently studying physiotherapy at the University of Liverpool. I have a part time job in retail and my hobbies when I’m not training and walking is binge watching Netflix and getting outdoors! 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been training CrossFit now for 3 years. Prior to CrossFit I was a tumbling gymnast from the age of 9. I transitioned to double mini trampolining when I was 13 and competed for team GB at the age of 14. When I was 16 I briefly trained athletics alongside double mini at Liverpool harriers. It was my mum who found CrossFit and encouraged me to give it a go (I was a bit reluctant to try it at the start but it was by far the best decision I ever made and I’ve loved it ever since!)

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I’ve found in every sport I’ve done there are some mental challenges I’ve had to overcome. Gymnastics is a pretty dangerous sport and I found mental blocks/barriers particularly challenging to face, especially after injuries. With CrossFit, my biggest challenge would have to be weightlifting however, I find surrounding myself with a group of like minded people who encourage each other really helps overcome tough mental barriers. I’ve found as I develop as an athlete my mindset is improving both in training and competition. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

A usual workout routine for me varies throughout the week depending on my university schedule, exams and goal/focus. I will train 5 days a week with 2 rest days. If my  main focus is strength I will reduce the volume of metcon and when competitions are approaching my conditioning will increase. When it comes to diet I have the help of my nutritionist Laura who calculates my macros according to my goals and checks in with me weekly!

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I have learnt a lot more about the significance of nutrition and how it impacts on performance. This is something at the start of the year I didn’t focus on. Since SiD I changed my nutrition and focused on eating for performance. My energy levels are now much higher when training and competing! I have also learned the importance of rest and recovery and how it helps prevent overtraining and injury. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

It’s very hard to choose but my favourite cheat meal would have to be anything to do with chocolate!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I don’t take many supplements at all but  one I definitely couldn’t live without would be my Whey’d protein powder. I use this everyday in my porridge and protein shakes and it tastes amazing! 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I love the fact that I’ve always been active and involved in competitive sport as it has given me a good base for CrossFit. I would probably wish to start from scratch with no ankle injuries from my gymnastic days as this would give me much better mobility!

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

The person I look up to most in the fitness industry would definitely have to be Sam Briggs! Having the chance to train alongside her occasionally is nothing short of inspiring and I think she is one of the most humble and genuine people I’ve ever met. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

The best piece of advice I would give is to just enjoy yourself and don’t overthink yours or other performances, as everyone is on their own fitness journey!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

My main goals over the next year is to qualify for more sanctioned events. Over the next few years I’m hoping to gradually improve my placements on the leaderboard, especially in the open!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

My Instagram account is @ellawilkinsonxx 

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................