Monday 12 February 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Coach/Athlete Kelly Baker


1) Who is Kelly Baker? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

Im from a small town called Barnsley (aka Tarn) in South Yorkshire, UK and am the co-owner and coach of CrossFit Barnsley. I have 2 young boys, 2 Shih Tzus and am married to Mark. CrossFit and Olympic Lifting are my life but now and then I like to snowboard.

2) How many years have you been training?

I started as a gymnast at age 6 and found CrossFit in 2012 and have been hooked ever since. I started to compete in CrossFit in 2014 and my biggest competition so far is The European Championships.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

In 2016 I tried my hand at a weightlifting meet where I took 1st place and won the ‘Les Green’ shield which also qualified me for the British Weightlifting English Championships. Leading up to this I temporarily stopped CrossFit and focused purely on Olympic Weightlifting. I had to diet crazily to make the weight category I had been entered in. I felt weak and I missed CrossFit and 2 weeks out I tore my meniscus. 

After a long drive down to Milton Keynes with my Nan and number 1 supporter I weighed in and made weight (0.3kg under..phew!) I had no energy and didn't know if my knee was going to hold out but it did and I went on to win the snatch in my category but then completely bombed out on the Clean & Jerk on weights i hadn't missed for a long time, therefore I didn't make a qualifiying total.

As the saying goes what goes up, must come down, winning one comp to absolute disaster in another. The tattoo on my leg which reads ‘sometimes you win, sometimes you learn’ couldn't have rang truer at that time. I am grateful for the experience and learnt so much.

I continue to love Olympic weightlifting and have just completed the level 2 British Weightlifting course however my passion is CrossFit as I love the variety and intensity it brings.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

My daily training comes from The Athlete Programme. During my 5.5 years of doing CrossFit i have followed various programmes but this one really works for me, even after many months I still get excited for a new training week. A typical day for me will involve a 2 hour morning session which usually includes strength and gymnastics work and a 1 hour evening session which will generally be higher in intensity especially leading upto the open.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

Over the past year I have really tried to dial in my nutrition and supplement intake. The guys at Fission Nutrition tailor my supplements to the demands of my training and Im trying to make sure I eat enough whole foods to fuel my training. This has made a huge difference in how I feel and recover.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Banana with melted chocolate.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Fission Nutritions X4ri Protein in Cookies & Cream flavour, I mix it with milk and it tastes just like melted Ben & Jerrys - full of protein without all the nasties - win win.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

It took me a while to accept my changing body and would be embarrassed to wear a vest in public incase people thought my shoulders looked too masculine. I can honestly say I am now proud of my body and what it can do and thats more important to me than what anyone else thinks. Your body will adapt and change to what you put it through so if your a couch potato embrace your body for that, if you like throwing weights around for hours on end and being upside down knocking handstand press ups out then be proud of the badass muscles that come with it.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Mat Fraser. I could watch and listen to him all day. His mentality and approach to training is phenomenal.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Surround yourself with awesome people, put the work in, be patient, trust the process and enjoy the journey. Be in it for the long haul.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

To complete the CrossFit gymnastics course, PB my snatch and as much as it always scares the sh!t out of me - continue competing, I have a few partner & team comps lined up this year which Im really looking forward to.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: @kelbaker5
Facebook: Kelly Baker



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................