Thursday 21 November 2019

12 Questions with Crossfit Coach/Personal trainer Jennifer Kokk


1)  Who is Jennifer Kokk? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc).

I’m a 23yo Swede who lives in Abu Dhabi and works as a CrossFit coach and personal trainer. I love to travel, go horseback riding, cook and I won’t say no to a night out every now and then. If I’m not at the gym, you’ll most probably find me by the pool reading/studying or in the kitchen cooking and eating! 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc).

I did team gymnastics when I was younger, but I’ve spent most of my life on horses competing in Eventing and Show jumping. I started CrossFit 6 years ago - my friends dragged me along to a class ( I didn’t really dare to join at first since rumours made me think it was all about training as hard as you could until you threw up haha). Post workout lying there on the floor I knew I was “hooked on the feeling”.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I’ve been lucky not to have any injuries to deal with. My struggle has been in the mental game - comparing myself, not allowing myself to be happy with my performance and what I can do regardless if other people do it better.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I usually wake up around 6/7 am, earlier if I coach morning classes. I like to get my training done before lunch time. If I have another session, I’m back again after lunch to do it before coaching again in afternoon+evening. Food - I eat mostly whole foods (plant based) and I typically have 2 big meals a day (lunch + dinner) with a snack between those and after dinner (usually porridge and protein smoothie bowl). Extra snacks if I’m hungry :)

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future). 

I’ve learned a lot about what works for me - it’s easy to read or be told to “do this or that” and when to do it. Everyone is different and I think paying attention to yourself and find your ways will help to motivate you and why you’re doing it. For example, my purpose of training has been to train to compete and I was sure that’s why I was training. Now I’ve come to realize that I start to enjoy training (& life haha) more when I don’t build it all around competitions. I do want to compete - but now I’m more in it for fun and not because I “have to”.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Ohhh that’s probably a Swedish semla! Ice cream and chocolate is a big YES too.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I don’t use supplements really other than a scoop of protein powder - Turmeric latte flavor is delicious in smoothie bowls and is definitely my daily “must have” right now haha.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I don’t think I’d do much differently, I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve done and I have no regrets. Maybe put some effort earlier to figure out more of my mental game and my “why” to be able to enjoy it more.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I don’t really have a specific person - I get inspired by people who has a lot going on (family, lots of work etc.) and still manage to find time & motivation to come into gym and train hard on top of that. But to mention one person I’d say Megan Mileham - she’s good at managing work & training while also being a really humble person with good perspective on things.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Don’t stress about everything you “have” to learn. Accept the fact that there is always room for improvement (a never ending story) and even though you might not be where you want right now - you’re still on your way and that’s what counts. Right now is what we got so we might as well enjoy it!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I’d love to do a competition with a team! I’ve only done a couple small comps in team so I would definitely like to train, prepare and go somewhere for a bigger competition with a team.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram @jenniferkokk

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................