Friday 20 April 2018

12 Questions With Matthias Turner (Co-Founder of The Chief Life)


1) Who is Matthias Turner? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m from Brisbane, Australia and I am the co-founder of The Chief Life. We’re an online nutrition company with a holistic approach. I really enjoy going to gym but also love to get outdoors. I love surfing and am a true farm body. I have recently become addicted to archery/bow hunting. I’m happiest when I get to move, eat well, be outside and challenge my brain daily!

2) How many years have you been training?

I’ve been training for 12 years (a mix of straight weights, CrossFit and Powerlifting)

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (setbacks, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Hmm, I’ve had heap of injuries and lots of little set back or let downs in life like being selected to be shadow goal keeper for my states Futsal side or being reserve for my team at the CrossFit Games, but I feel the biggest growing point in my life was when my parents split when I was 13. My Dad walked out on the family to be with another woman and at that point of my life, I lost my Father. Not literally but I didn’t have that father figure around at a vital point of a man’s life. I still had a relationship with my Father and I still saw him often but he wasn’t in my life as a Father figure like I needed. It took me 5 years to realise what damage this had done. I was still a kid looking for someone to guide me and it wasn’t until I went to a psychologist and she explained I had to be the man to guide my inner child that I realised I was leaving too much of my life up to other people’s dictation. I had to make the choice to take control of my life and be my own Father figure if I wanted to get out of my rut and make something of my life… So, I did!

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

A typical day of training looks like a powerlifters training with some CrossFit chucked in there. I’ll either do upper or lower body days with either a max effort or dynamic approach. I always have BULK accessories. Accessories are golden! I’ve recently started fasting for the mornings. I have a decaf coffee with some Keto and Ko and MCT oils first thing then usually break my fast after coaching and training in the mornings around 10-11. From there it’s protein, carbs and fats at every meal and snack. I eat whole non-processed foods. All packet foods I eat are high quality products.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

SO Freaking much… As a part of my daily routine I always strive to be learning something new every day. Something we’ve really pushed this year with my business, The Chief Life, is our 7 pillars of health. These 7 pillars we believe you need to dial in to get real long-lasting results. No one is more important than the other and when one or multiples are missing they affect the outcome of your results. The 7 Pillars are Nutrition, Movement/Exercise, Sleep, Stress/Mindset, Breath, Hydration, Sunlight/Vitamin D. So, over last year this has been a huge focus of mine.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Choc Peanut butter ice cream. Oh damn!

7) one supplement that you could not live without? 

ZMA

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why? 

Make sure I had guidance from the start from a coach (both training and nutrition). I spent the first 4-5 years of my training life doing shitty workouts and following bad diets and not getting the best results. If I had my time again I would definitely be investing in some coaches to speed the process up for me.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

More recently Ben Greenfield and Aubrey Marcus… These guys are smashing it in terms of biohacking health. They’re bringing information and products to the front line to help people succeed. In the gym, I’ve always looked up to Louie Simmons. He’s a total badass and conducts a no bullshit gym philosophy. He creates some of the strongest humans in the world out of Westside Barbell.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

You don’t have to do it alone. Get help from people who have actually had results and had to work for them. Ask as many questions as you can and don’t feel you have to be loyal to any one person or method. If they’re no longer serving you, move on!

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

Business growth is always a goal and to be honest that happens naturally. But 2 of my biggest goals I am working towards are writing a book on the 7 pillars of health and secondly is a combined goal with my wife and co-founder of The Chief Life, Stacey. The goal is to own our own farm that we repurpose for retreats. This is a long way off and as a stepping stone in the right direction we’ve just run our first retreat and it blew our expectations away of what was possible in 3 nights with a group of people.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@mattyafter @thechieflife



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................