Tuesday 9 November 2021

12 Questions With CrossFit Masters Athlete Leanne Smith

1) Who is Leanne Smith? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

I am 51 years old.  I am a Mom of 3, and married to Ryan for 22 years.  I am the Vice President of Human Resources for Panera Bread.  I am a CrossFit masters competitive athlete.  I have a 5 year old lab named Cody who is my angel. If I am not training, I am working.  I support 1300 employees in the northeast so that is more than a full time job, but I love it because it is different everyday and I make a difference.  My kids are so awesome and I am grateful and proud.  My oldest daughter is studying engineering in college and is motivated to be her best and doing so many great things, my  son has his own business  which is so impressive and is in college full time studying business and my youngest is a in high school and is an elite field hockey player, getting ready to go to college.  They all work very hard and I am so proud with all their accomplishments.  Very very proud.
 
2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

My background with fitness is aerobics and then I ran marathons.  I wanted strength and something competitive to do, so I decided to try CrossFit.  I started at 42 years old.  It was the most challenging thing I have ever done.  I quickly learned about the local competitions and did that like it was the only thing I should be doing!  I participated in the open, the Granite Games, Wodapoolza every year with the idea to just do better than the year prior.  I was hooked with competitive environment and wanted to keep progressing. In 2021, my AGOQ ranking was 24 in the world for women 50-54.  It was better than the year before and this made me happy.  I just completed a great competition at the Masters Fitness Collective in Indiana and I can’t wait to compete at WZA in January. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

I think the most challenging has been recently.  I suddenly felt my body breaking down and I needed to do something different.  I had extreme knee pain.  I was told not to squat as the solution.  Well…I decide to implement serious mobility into my routine.  I spend 20-30 minutes everyday and it is getting better.  Not perfect but teaching me about my body and my limits. I’ve learned I have great days and somedays I feel not so great.  I just try to keep looking at the big picture and realize everyday is not going to be great, and listen to my body and rest appropriately. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).  

My typical workout is Crossfit training for 90 minutes for 5 days.  I try my hardest to get to the pool one day per week.  I do mobility every day and spend one or two days resting.  I walk my dog too if that counts, I think so, gives me a sense of peace.  My diet is one that I try to eat clean and I don’t starve.  We have very healthy food available in my house.  Our family wants to eat well and we all encourage each other.  I am proud of that.  Recently, I have been trying to add more variety of foods to gain different nutrients.  I don’t count macros, I just eat.  I have weighed 134 pounds for years. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future) 

I have learned you need to be consistent with your training.  Period.  I used to be obsessed with programming and that was the key.  Maybe.  But I have a great coach who knows me better than any online coach.  He tells me exactly what I need to do.  I am able to get feedback from a team of coaches at my gym who inspire me to be better and hold me accountable.  I do consistent programing where I hit my movements and strength pieces regularly.  I finally trust my training.  This is a huge change for me.  Gives me confidence and when I am confident, I am better.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?   

Pizza of course, wine and chips.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

Fish oil because I do not like anything from the ocean so I am missing this in my diet.  Don’t ask, I am a picky eater.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why? 

I would have been a gymnast versus a dancer because I have been extremely challenged with gymnastics movements.  I look at so many athletes who have this technical skill and I have to work hard for every rep.  I also would have started CrossFit in my teens, however I don’t think it was around when I was a teenager.  But I always wonder about how different it would be for me to start CrossFit earlier than staring in my 40’s.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?   

I watch all the elite athletes closely and I enjoy Kristi Eramo; Mal O’Brien, Annie.  I love Travis Mayer.  Noah, you are very positive, I need that.  I honestly look up to the athletes I am competing against.  I think they are all amazing and I have the utmost respect for the women in my age group.    

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be? 

Take your time and learn the movements correctly.  It is so hard to change bad habits!  Form is so important even though you think it is speed and winning.  Get it right and you will be better in the long run.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

My goal is to get to the Crossfit Games.  I will get there.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

Facebook:  leannestrongsmith
Instagram:  @panerabread11
Twitter:  LeanneCSmith1

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................