Tuesday 20 February 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Coach/Athlete Jamie Hagiya


1) Who is Jamie Hagiya? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I'm from Torrance, California. I grew up playing basketball from the age of four. I received a full scholarship and played 4 years at the University of Southern California, where I graduated with a degree in Communication in 2007. I continued playing professionally Overseas in Greece and Spain before trying out for the WNBA in 2012. When I didn't make the team, I found CrossFit and started coaching and competing.

After four California Regional attempts and a torn achilles, I finally made it to the CrossFit Games in 2016, finishing in 18th. Currently I'm a co-owner and coach at Torrance Training Lab in Torrance California.  

2) How many years have you been training?

I started CrossFit at the end of 2011, so I've been training for a little over 6 years however, before that I lifted weights and did conditioning all throughout my college years .

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

One of the toughest things I've ever had to overcome was when I tore my achilles in 2014. Being an athlete my entire life I've had my fair shares of injuries, but this was my first major one where I needed surgery. It was a very long and slow process, but in the end, I truly believe it made me stronger (mentally, physically, and emotionally). I overcame it by taking it one day at a time.

I always tell people (who are injured) there will be good days and bad days. Allow yourself to feel your feelings, and it's ok to be mad, upset, frustrated, and angry. But then pick yourself right back up and keep going. One thing that helped a lot was my goal of making it to the CrossFit Games. I used that as motivation everyday.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I usually workout 5 days a week. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. With Thursday and Sunday as my rest days. I usually do active recovery on my rest days, where I'll get outside the gym and enjoy a jog at the beach or basketball, tennis, golf, or beach volleyball.

I've been with Mike Lee from Opex Fitness since the beginning of 2014, so he's programmed for me and helped me out every step along the way. As far as my diet, I follow RP Strength which has completely changed the way I view my nutrition.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

I've learned the importance of balance. I truly believe you need to be happy and enjoy what you're doing, especially when it comes to health and fitness. Coming from basketball where it's a team sport, I've always loved training with other people. So I know I'm the happiest when I get to workout with my friends and meeting other amazing people in our community. (Which is one of my absolute favorite things about this sport... the people!).

 6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I love it all! I obviously have a sweet tooth so donuts, cookies, ice cream, cupcakes, cake, brownies... I could go on all day haha. And then savory, I love Japanese, Mexican, Italian, I'm kind of a foodie. I have a separate Instagram for food called "Workouteatout", so you can see some of my favorites there.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I don't really take any supplements. Protein shakes here and there, but I just try to eat solid foods before and after workouts.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I wish I learned to love and accept my body sooner. For so many years I was so hard on myself because I didn't look like all of the other beautiful, size 0 women in the media and fitness industry. That's just not my body type. It's still a struggle for me to this day, but slowly but surely I'm learning to love and accept my body. And I also think there's so much beauty in our strength and imperfections.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

There's so many athletes I look up to but I'd have to say Val Voboril, Becca Voigt, and Kris Clever.

When I first got into the CrossFit scene back in 2012/2013, even though we were technically competitors (although I wasn't much of a threat back then) they were SO sweet and welcomed me with open arms to their training sessions. Always willing to help or offer tips to me. They're all incredible women (obviously physically) but so smart, so genuine, so caring, so much integrity, and pure hearts of gold. Long after CrossFit is done, I will be lifelong friends with these women because they're amazing humans.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Set goals for yourself (long term and short term), work hard, stay humble, always believe in yourself, and most importantly HAVE FUN!!! Life is short, so enjoy what you spend your time and energy on. Oh and get yourself a good coach. Someone who is knowledgeable and also pushes you to do and be better everyday.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I'm going team this year with Chelsey Grigsby, Ted Hwang, and Andrew Kong. We've all been good friends for a while so I'm really excited for this upcoming season. It's going to be super competitive but the goal is to make it to Regionals. If we make it there, the goal would be the CrossFit Games!!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: jamiejoyce2
Facebook: Jamie Hagiya- CrossFit Athlete
Instagram: workouteatout




LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................