Wednesday 11 December 2019

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete Kelly Stone


1) Who is Kelly Stone? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

I am a 29-year-old born and raised in Lakewood, Colorado. I grew up as a competitive gymnast and swimmer and swam Division I for the University of San Diego while obtaining my Bachelors degree in Biology. After undergrad, I attended the University of Florida to pursue a doctorate in Physical Therapy. I currently work as a pediatric and adult physical therapist. I fell in love with CrossFit in 2016 and haven’t looked back since. CrossFit and work take up most of my time, but any additional free time I have usually involves traveling being outside. I’m forever a beach bum.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been been actively involved in competitive sports since I was 4 years old. I began lifting weights when I was 14 to supplement my sports training. After college, I briefly dabbled in competitive Bodybuilding but soon after transitioned into CrossFit. I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t training in some form another.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Growing up, I struggled with self-confidence as a muscular girl. I was made fun of a lot in middle school and high school. Over the past few years, I have gotten a lot more comfortable in my own skin. Training and competing in CrossFit has given me such a sense of purpose and joy. Every day I get to compete against myself and push myself to the limits. By setting goals and focusing on what my body can do, I no longer give value to negative comments from others. I hope to inspire other young girls and women and show them that it’s empowering to be strong and have muscle.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I currently train 2-3 hours per day, 5-6 days per week. My workouts typically include strength training, Olympic weightlifting, CrossFit metcons, and accessory training. I also swim and/or run 1-2x/week. My diet is focused on eating as many whole, minimally processed foods as possible with an emphasis on food quality and micronutrients. I count macros consistently and perform best with a high protein, high carbohydrate, and low/moderate fat diet. I drink 100+ ounces of water per day.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future). 

This past year, with the help of my coach, I have focused on fixing some muscular imbalances and dynamic core strength with my training. It has been a tedious process but I have learned so much about my body and how to use it more effectively. I have PR’d all of my lifts significantly as a result and have avoided injury. I believe that working on weaknesses consistently is what separates “the good” from “the great.” I have also learned a ton about nutrition this year via working with my nutrition coach and completing a Precision Nutrition certification. I have successfully increased my caloric intake by roughly 600 calories/day and have experienced significant improvements in energy levels, training performance, recovery, sleep, and body composition.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I am a sushi FIEND.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Whey protein! It helps with my post-workout recovery and is a go-to during busy work days.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I wouldn’t change a thing. The experiences I have had, good and bad, have made me the person I am today.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

As a competitive gymnast for 14 years, I am a huge fan of Simone Biles and Aly Raisman. Simone is unequivocally the greatest gymnast of all time and is a great model of female strength and determination. I also really look up to Aly Raisman, not only for her athletic achievements, but also for her advocacy efforts in representing young female athletes who were victims of sexual assault.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Enjoy the process and don’t compare yourself to others. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and starting points. Find joy in the daily grind and the amazing things your body is capable of. Fitness and wellness is a lifelong pursuit.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I plan to compete at several sanctionals this season with the hopes of returning to the CrossFit Games as an individual or team member. I competed at the CrossFit Games in 2017 and 2018 with CrossFit Omnia. I also hope to continue to advance in my career and pursue some other professional opportunities.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: @kellstone35
Facebook: Kelly Stone


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................