Tuesday 28 January 2020

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete Megan Marchildon-Breed

1) Who is Megan Marchildon-Breed? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am from Midland Ontario but when I was eight months old my parents moved us to Lubbock, Texas where I spent 14 years of my life and then right before I started high school we moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan. I am a Canadian who has never actually lived in Canada it is very confusing. I went to university on a track and field scholarship competing in the heptathlon and studied mathematics. Once I graduated University I moved to Durham, England where I finished a Masters degree in Education and met my now husband Richard. My only hobby is cross fit but I also enjoy watching movies and getting hooked on box sets. I could literally go to the cinema every day and live off popcorn. 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

When I met my husband Richard in January 2016 he got me into CrossFit because he had been doing it for awhile. I soon found myself slowly starting to fall out of love with the heptathlon and in love with CrossFit. I have been training in CrossFit competitively ever since. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The hardest thing to overcome for me has been my mentality and negativity.  I often doubt myself and get myself into slumps which I called  “losing my Mojo”. When I lose my Mojo it’s really hard for me to get back into full swing. Also I am having a setback at the minute as I am dealing with a neck injury that is taking a long time to investigate and sort out but I have been doing everything I can to get 100% again.  I know I don’t have much time as I am going to be 28 in May and I see so many little youngsters who are absolutely incredible that I know will soon sweep me under the rug. I am finding it harder and harder to keep up.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate)

I eat a wholefood plant-based diet. I don’t think there is anything that you can get from meat that you can’t get from plants as long as you eat a well-balanced diet of fruit and vegetable with your nuts. whole grains, lentils, legumes, beans, quinoa, cuscus etc. The list goes on and on. I eat about 2,000- 2400 cal a day depending on how I feel and how much training I am doing I try to stick around 90g of protein and 250g of carbs 70g of healthy fat. These are all rough figures. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future)

This past year I have learnt and studied so much about nutrition as I was completely unaware of how malnourished I was halfway through 2019 and realising I was not even near as much as I should’ve been. Since then I have been tracking my food and calorie output. I have also been looking into the volume of my training and taking rest more seriously. I am known at the gym for an hour taking a rest day and realised now that is not a good thing. What I have learned this year about nutrition and overexertion has completely changed my mentality on training. Before I thought I could eat all I want/whatever I want and train as much as I wanted.  I thought because I did cross fit and burnt so many calories that it didn’t matter but now that I realise how important nutrition is to your training I have taken a lot more into consideration and try harder not to make those same mistakes.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I literally love Nando’s so much I know I shouldn’t because I am a vegan and shouldn’t support a company that kills so many chickens but they’re vegan wraps are so freaking good and now they do a vegan perinaise  and I literally just can’t even take it haha my mouth waters so much when I think of Nando’s.   

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I use Huel meal replacement/enhancement literally every day, it is my topper upper, my quick meal when I don’t have time and it is always in my car or in my bag any time I need a pick me up. The shakes have all essential nutrients and taste really good with my fission nutrition vegan protein. 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would focus on the little things and start with the basics first instead of trying to be amazing at all of the fun things like butterfly pullups and muscle ups and handstand push-ups I will literally just strip it all back and want to master the basics first. You can muscle your way through anything but it is always better to learn the proper technique first establish your face fitness. I think I tried to much too soon instead of mastering the basics and taking time to learn technique in Olympic lifts and gymnastics. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Sam Briggs, the older I get the more I idolise her because she helps me to realise that no matter how old I am I can still accomplish my dreams and so she is basically giving me more and more hope as I get older, so thank you Sam Briggs!! 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Exactly what I said in question 8. Make sure you master the basics first and learn proper techniques be patient and don’t compare yourself to anyone. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

My goal for this year is to make a CrossFit sanctional event as an individual. I would also like to get 100 kg clean and jerk and an 80 kg snatch so I would have an only total of 180. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Thank you so much for reading about me and you can find me @megamillion3 on Instagram and Megan Marchildon-Breed on Facebook.

Peace and Love ✌️&💓 

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................