Wednesday 2 May 2018

12 Questions With CrossFit Athlete/Coach Tia Wright


1) Who is Tia Wright? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m from Seattle, coach full time at a gym teaching CrossFit! My passion is in lifestyle changes. I’ve set out a goal to help anyone that needs it, to improve their life a lot or a little. Coaching CrossFit is a good opportunity for that, but I’m on the edge of my seat figuring out ways to impact people even more. I really am fully enveloped in molding my career into something perfect for my skills and talents, as competing for the CrossFit Games has taught me so much!!! Aside from the life involving all things CrossFit, I love being with my family, my dog, and taggling along to anything that they’re up to. 

2) How many years have you been training?

I first qualified for regionals in 2012 as a 19 year old. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into! But I went to the Games that year as a spectator and I just KNEW that one day I’d stand on the floor as a competitor. I didn’t take training for the Games seriously until 2015 when I increased my volume with a full weightlifting program and more than one conditioning workout per day. In 2015 i finished that Regional with a 2nd place finish on the Muscle up Clean ladder and that pulled me up to 13th place. Still improving every year at regionals. During this time I was finishing up my degree, doing a little coaching and just simply doing CrossFit. The Open in 2016 left me hanging by a thread and was back filled, qualifying for regionals in the LAST spot in 40th place. I was stressed, graduating, and my sister got married the last week of the Open. Day 1 of regionals I jumped from last place to 1st place, and was just as shocked as everyone else. It was a time to make fast mental adjustments in believing that I CAN GO TO THE GAMES. Needless to say, I hung in the top 5 all weekend long, and slipped out on the final event where my body and mind went into a full shutdown and I lost my spot to the CrossFit Games. Coming back in 2017 was awesome. I started a competitive program with Power & Grace Performance which was transforming as an athlete. I also spent my first year living out my dream as a Games athlete. Caring about when and how I ate, completing ALL my training, sleeping well, and making it a priority in my life. I came back to Regionals with my best Open, ready to rock in 2017. Won two events, crushed some others, and still 20 points out of going to the Games. After being in the top 5 all weekend... convincing yourself that you belong, it comes down to whether you believe it. I have spent the last year fighting mentally, pushing way harder in training, fine tuning my nutrition. I have transformed as a person. And that’s just the best way to put it. I’ve grown so much. And I’m bringing a HUGE game to regionals this year in 2018. It will be my 7th year qualifying for regionals.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I am so thankful I have not been injured, or setback in ways that were out of my control. I was simply waiting my turn, for school to finish, to ground myself to a home and a community. My largest challenges are mental limitations that I had layered on myself unconsciously from my past. Becoming aware of these things and busting through them has been life changing. I’m thankful that “training” for the CrossFit Games has brought this opportunity into my life. If I wasn’t faced with a breaking point I may have remained limited by these things my whole life.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I train at 8 am and get mostly weightlifting and accessory work done... sometimes one metcon. I go home to clean, cook, hang with my pup, stretch, and be calm, work on mental strategies, pack for work. Head back to the gym and train at 1pm when I do the remainder of my training. And then work all night teaching CrossFit classes at our gym!!! It’s an awesome schedule. Although it’s going to change, I honestly plan everything down to the minute, and if that means working out at 4 am, or 10 pm then I’ll do it.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

The big leaps I’ve made have been on diet, mentality, and training. My coaches actually told me they wouldn’t give me a new program till I reached out to our nutritionists and started working on my diet. Those adjustments were mainly WHEN I eat (nutrient timing) and cleaning it up a bit. This lead right into how I improved my training. I’m really focused when I train and I try to dig very deep when it’s clear that is the intent of the programming. Sometimes more is less. But quality of the intensity is the magic in competitive training. On the lifestyle front, I’ve learned to be unshakably positive, confident, and focused. I have watched my own transformation affect even the people close to me in positive ways, and my reach on social media. It’s molding my career into something special, and I’m so thankful that competing has presented me with such awesome opportunities to grow.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

BEN & Jerry’s! Either Phish food, or the Karmel Sutra!

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

Tissue Rejuvenator— Hammer Nutrition

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

Limit myself less. I let people tell me I’m made for certain things, or I will always be a certain way. Remember, all things are possible.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Rich Froning: limitless, faith driven, humble, beautifully balanced priorities and hard working.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Set the intention that this is now part of your day, and it is as important as brushing your teeth. You’ll schedule it... and no matter what it’s just a routine. Sometimes you forget to brush your teeth, that’s ok... but you will the next day! Because this life isn’t going to get anywhere if you come and go. Stay with it for a LONG time... forever.

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

This is the year I will punch my first ticket to the CrossFit Games. My goal is to win the West Coast Regional. I am shooting for top 10 at the Games. I have what it takes. It’s all execution now. I have career goals as well. Develop and introduce some lifestyle programs, and have 5 clients that are 1-on-1, by the end of this summer.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

My website is LIVE, and kick ass! I’m wayyy more active on Instagram as a platform than any other social media outlets because I treat it as a blog. Which is a good preview to my FULL TEXT writings found on my website for my actual blog!




LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................