Monday 16 December 2019

12 Questions with CrossFit Coach/Athlete Tim Paulson


1) Who is Tim Paulson? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I grew up in Media, Pa - a suburb of Philadelphia - where I played hockey my entire life. I then moved to Lake Placid, NY to play hockey when I was in high school, and have lived around New York ever since, settling in Ithaca where I went to school and own two gyms now. I am an accountant by trade, having gotten an MBA from Ithaca College, but I'm now a full time coach and CrossFit athlete, having qualified for the Crossfit Games 4 times. Outside of the gym I'll take any time I can to travel and go to the mountains with my wife and our Blue Heeler, Echo, and I also love to read and am a hobby photographer.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)
I've been training since I was 13, when I started working with personal trainers for hockey. I found CrossFit when I was 22 and have been using the methodology full time, at various levels, for the last ~8 years. I got into it competitively when I stopped playing hockey and needed a new outlet.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The biggest hurdle to my athletic pursuits over the last 8 years of CrossFit training was dealing with a back injury in the spring of 2015. Luckily, it was largely muscular and due to an SI imbalance, so after a couple weeks I was able to workout - albeit largely modified - and within 2 months I was training regularly normal again. It completely changed the way I warm up, train, cooldown, and take care of myself, though - and it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I started incorporating a daily prehab routine into my training schedule and forced a renewed daily focus on quality of movement. I began doing yoga and stretching daily.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).
My training is, ideally, cyclical throughout the year, so it looks different depending on the phase of my season that I'm in. When I'm training for the CrossFit Games, I train about 4 hours per day. Everyday will start with 60 minutes of monostructural work (swimming, biking, running, rowing, etc). Then, the other 3 hours of my training will be spent largely on strength and skill development, with a couple of 'classic CrossFit workouts' sprinkled in. My training volume is pretty significantly lower (2 hours a day) when I'm in my off season, and has a very different focus.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

In the last year the most important thing I've learned was actually about the way that I compete. I didn't realize it while it was happening, but during the last 2 years or so I haven't enjoyed myself competing; and I've been largely frustrated with my results across the board. The last competition that I was proud of and felt fulfilled about was Regionals in the spring of 2018. I competed earlier this month in Ireland, and I finally felt like myself again. Since I had already qualified for the Crossfit Games, I was able to take the pressure off myself and just have fun behind the scenes and compete hard on the floor with no expectations, and it yielded a result that I'm very proud of. Now, I need to work on finding that zen and that approach when everything is on the line.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

I am a simple man when it comes to cheat meals - I love burgers, friends, and a good local beer.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?


The one supplement I can't live without is definitely coffee. It's one of the only supplements that I take consistently day in and day out.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?


If I had to start over from scratch, I would focus on the mechanics of my movement and start doing prehab exercises sooner. It's really easy as a younger athlete to get excited about competing and always wanting to do more. If I had spent the time focusing on mechanics of movement, learning how to move better, and how to activate muscles properly for compound exercises earlier in my development in the sport, it would have made progress down the road so much 'easier' to chase and consistently find. Long story short? Do the basics, and do them well, from square one.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Honestly, I don't really look up to anyone in particular in the fitness industry. I admire qualities of certain athletes and entrepreneurs that have made them successful, and try to learn what I can from them and add specific parts of it to my routine, training, or work day, but everyone's journey is different. The figures I look up to the most are people in my family and close personal life.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?


See "if I had to start over" :) This is the best piece of advice I give to new members who join our gym's. Focus on moving well right now, and learning the basics of fitness, nutrition, and mental/physical self care; it will set you up for success in the long run.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I have some goals for my gyms and remote programming business', but as an athlete, I have a couple major competitions lined up for this year including the Reykjavik Crossfit Championship, (hopefully) The Rogue Invitational, and the CrossFit Games. I'd like to parlay the success I had in Ireland this past month - both mentally, and a podium finish - into a new way for myself to compete, and translate that into some stellar finishes throughout the rest of this season.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: @trexpaulson


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................