Tuesday 30 October 2018

12 Questions With CrossFit Athlete Kassandra Aveni


1) Who is Kassandra Aveni? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m from Bridgewater, MA but currently live in Boston. Recently I started working for M2 Performance Nutrition and before that I worked in the finance industry as an analyst. My hobbies are traveling around the world with my boyfriend James, mountain biking, running, and of course, CrossFit.

2) How many years have you been training?


I have been training for 6 years in CrossFit. Before then, I played soccer and ran track.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most challenging part of my journey so far is balancing training with a full time job, side hustle, and friends & family. It has really helped me develop time management skills and learn to make the most out of the time I do have in the gym. I've been very fortunate to have only one injury so far (knock on wood!). I had a shoulder impingement on my left arm. It took over a year to fully heal. It was hard to for me at first to stop training my shoulders since so much of what we do involves upper body. When it became so uncomfortable to reach my arm above my head, I knew I needed to listen to my body and rest. It was a set back for sure in my training but allowing my body to heal and learning to listen to it has really helped me become an overall better athlete.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I usually hit two training sessions per day consisting of a metcon, strength, accessory and skills. My sessions last for roughly 2 hours. For my diet, I weigh and count all of my food. I eat whole food sources with lots of vegetables and lean proteins.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

Though I have been training for a couple years now, I always find myself learning new things. Training with James Hobart, Austin Malleolo, Ashleigh Wosny and Spencer Hendel has really shaped my mindset around competing. I’ve learned how to push myself more and become a stronger athlete between the ears, which is so important in this sport. Nutrition wise, I have learned a lot more about nutrient timing and eating to fuel my body properly. I was doing paleo diet and zone diet for a while but felt something was missing. About a year ago, I switched to counting macronutrients with a little help from my friend Rachel Martinez. She helped me understand that my body needed more food to fuel my longer sessions. Needless to say, I feel so much better!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I love Everything Bagels with butter and cream cheese. I’m a huge breakfast food person!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Ascent’s chocolate whey protein is my absolute favorite supplement. I add 300g of almond milk to it and it tastes delicious!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would spend more time learning olympic lifting technique from the beginning. Technique and form as SO important!

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to my boyfriend James. As 3 time Affiliate Cup Champ, he has taught be a lot about teamwork, leadership, and CrossFit in general.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

My advice is to be patient and don’t give up on your dreams.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I’d like our team to podium for the CrossFit Games Affiliate Cup

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram @kassandraaveni


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................