Tuesday 23 October 2018

12 Questions with Strength Coach/Powerlifter Meghan Scanlon


1) Who is Meghan Scanlon? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

I am a Massachusetts girl, born and raised. I am a strength coach and wear a few different hats in this role. I have my own online strength coaching business, I coach the Northeastern U. Powerlifting Team, and I am the assistant fitness director of Healthworks(an all-women gym in Boston). I am an athlete who is a drug-free powerlifter and weightlifter. Outside of competing in strength sports my hobbies revolve around hanging out with my family and my pups!

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I was always an athlete growing up. I was a gymnast for 10 years before transitioning to soccer. I played soccer throughout college and then started to run. I ran 10 marathons and completed 3 Ironmans before I found the love for strength sports. I got my first taste of the barbell in college while in the weight room with the soccer team. I had always lifted since graduating just never specifically for strength. I started to train specifically for powerlifting 3 years ago, and began weightlifting 10 months ago.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

Injuries are always the most difficult for me as I LOVE TO MOVE. The first injury that held me back was two and a half years ago and was actually from running, and the beginning of the end of my marathon days. I had a hip injury that was debilitating but I realized to do what I was capable of doing pain free. At the time it included all things upper body, quarter squats, and hamstring curls. As my hip improved I progressed to all powerlifting motions. My only powerlifting injury occurred this year in my third pull at the Arnold Festival. It was again another debilitating, cannot sit up and get out of bed injury. It makes you put powerlifting in perspective and also appreciate being healthy. It reinforced the importance of "doing the little things," and consistently working on my weakness. I had to take 4-6 weeks completely off of lifting and then again started with pain free ranges of motion. It took a full 6 months for me to feel "normal" again. Injuries are a part and risk of any sport but learning how to deal with them and cope is a make or break difference. My biggest piece of advice is to keep moving. Keep doing what you can safely do, even if that is walking. My second piece of advice is ease back into it, do not get under the heavy weights if you are still afraid as it is a recipe for disaster.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I lift specifically for PL/WL 5 days a week. I generally will do a 6th day of extra accessories/core work When I am in a GPP, hypertrophy, or strength phase I also include HIIT 2x a week and some moderate intensity cardio 1-2x/week. Once I hit my peaking block I take out any HIIT and will walk or do aerobic intervals. I follow Max Aita's supertotal programming since March this year when I decided to give both powerlifting and weightlifting a go!

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

The past year has been a huge learning experience for me due to my injury. It has made me take a complete step back and rebuild. It has taught me to not rush the process. I have also cut from the 63kg weight class to the 57kg weight class. To do so I had to change my nutrition. I do my own nutrition programming and do follow "macros" but put an emphasis on quality macros. If you are in a caloric deficit and expecting your body to perform well, you must fuel your body well. You must put an emphasis on recovery, on stress levels, and sleep. My focus for the future has shifted from being satisfied with competing to wanted to win.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

My favorite meal fits well within my macros: steak and potatoes :) HOWEVER, on my diet breaks I am known to enjoy a plate of nachos or mocha chip ice cream with peanut butter and chocolate jimmies. I generally will allow myself small treats throughout training until I get to the last few weeks before a meet but enjoy bigger portions during these breaks.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

This is going to be Taboo for powerlifters but I am a big bulletproof coffee girl.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I wouldn't I think the journey is an important part of the process and learning curve. Do I wish I found strength sports earlier? Hell ya! However, I think my diverse background has made me a well rounded athlete, and less prone to injury. It has also taught me irreplaceable lessons in discipline.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

This is such a great question. I don't look up to anyone specifically, I just love seeing athletes that work their butt off succeed. I also look up to a lot of the people I coach. People underestimate the challenge of training and everyday life. My athletes that just put all of the excuses aside and get their work done, day in and out, make me so proud.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

If I had to give one piece of advice to athletes just starting out would be to have fun. Find what makes you happy, what makes you tick. If you do this you will find success. Why do I say this? I say this because to find success you have to be patient. Really patient. While your being patient, you also have to work your tail off. While your working your tail off you have to believe in yourself, believe you can succeed. This is no easy task. You must love whatever you are doing, to grind day in and out, through the ups and the downs. The ability to find fun in this grind will make your success ever so sweet.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I recently became the USAPL 57kg National Champion and I have my sights set on Worlds in June. In the interim I am going to have some fun and compete at the Arnolds in weightlifting and powerlifting!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

IG is @megscanlift
website www.megscanlift.com



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................