Saturday 5 August 2017

12 Questions with Jeff Alberts (3DMJ Coach)


1) Who is Jeff Alberts? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born and raised in Fremont, California and I’ve basically resided in California ever since. I’m co-owner and a coach with 3DMJ where we provide science-based strategies to support the natural lifting community & develop our athletes' careers. I’m also a natural pro bodybuilder, but more importantly I’m a proud father of two and a loving husband.

2) How many years have you been training?

I’ve been training seriously for 31 ½ years.


 3) Whats been the hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

At the moment, the toughest part is continuing to train on a high level. After 3 decades in the gym it gets a little bit harder to recover as the body definitely feels the high mileage I’ve accumulated over the years. What I feel I’ve gotten really good at is managing my volume and intensity or in a sense, I’ve gotten really good at knowing what my capabilities are.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I train 4x/per week (upper, lower, off, upper, lower, off) hitting each bodypart roughly 2x/week. Compounds lifts such as the squat, bench and deadlift are hit or miss depending on any aches/pains, but in general I perform these lifts 1-2x/week, 3-4 sets, 3-8 rep range. Accessory movements such as rows, pulldowns, curls, pressdowns, etc range anywhere between 3-4 sets and 6-15 reps. At the moment, I’m currently prepping for fall shows so I’m in a caloric deficit, but nonetheless I still eat the foods I enjoy while ensuring I’m hitting my macronutrients, micronutrients and fiber targets. I also incorporate 1-2 refeeds per week to ensure I’m stable physically and mentally.

5) What have you learned over the past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

Over the past year what I’ve really come to understand is that this sport should not be treated like an on/off switch or looked at with a black or white mentality. Personally, I’ve found more success by treating the process more like a dimmer switch...turning it up when I need to and turning it down as well when I need to. In a sense, it’s the best balance I’ve ever had in a sport where it has time and time again taken over one’s life. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I don’t look at eating a meal as a cheat or treat…from that perspective it’s not the right mindset to have in my opinon. Regardless if I’m in a deficit or surplus I choose to eat foods I enjoy, so really all my meals could be viewed as a treat :)

7) One supplement that you could not live without? 

Supplement means just that…a supplement, so personally I don’t feel like I need any as my protocols are usually right where they need to be to make progress. I’d rather spend my money on more food or to take my kids to a movie.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I would have more of an open mind so I could of had a better environment for learning.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I love all my fellow coaches at 3DMJ, Brad Loomis, Eric Helms, Alberto Nunez and Andrea Valdez not only because they are part of my family and all great coaches, but due to the fact they all genuinely care about helping others.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Invest in https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/ as those books are a wealth of knowledge that will save you years of heartache.

11) What new goals are on the horizon? (new goals, aims, etc)

As an athlete, making my way back to either the WNBF Worlds or IPE Worlds in November and as a coach, it’s to simply continue guiding my athletes to their goals.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

www.3dmusclejourney.com
www.instagram.com 3dmj_godfather m
https://www.facebook.com/jeffery.alberts
https://www.youtube.com/user/Team3DMJ Jeff  





LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................