Wednesday 8 December 2021

12 Questions with CrossFit/Grid League Athlete Amber Bost

1) Who is Amber Bost (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself? (hobbies, etc)

I'm a 38 year old mom of 2, wife, Army Veteran (17 years in active duty), and sports massage therapist. I'm originally from St. Pete, Florida and have been on the water my whole life. When I'm not training, you can usually find me camping, freediving, spearfishing, or fishing. My kids are big into being outdoors too so its great family bonding time. 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I wouldn't consider my military career as training. So in theory I started 8 years ago when a friend wanted to prep for our first obstacle race. Her neighbor owned CrossFit Siege in Pembroke Pines, Fl. So we checked it out and I fell in love with the barbell. Before that, I struggled with fitness and my weight. Having reached an all time high of 235 lbs while serving in the Army, I lost 100lbs just by running before starting CrossFit. Once I started, I found a new appreciation and healthy relationship with food again. Since then, I've played in all 5 seasons of the Florida Grid League which seemed like an impossibility when I first tried out.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them? (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Being older, its been a mental struggle to balance work, training and family. I have previous injuries from my time in the Army such as lower back herniations, a torn calf I aquired season 1 of Grid during my internship for my BS in Sports Medicine, and most recently I broke my foot during a Ragnar Race in the Appalachian mountains. Dealing with it has been mentally and physically tough but I've tried to always focus on what I can control and work there. Between my rehab with The BoxDoc and getting a one on one coach (Andrew Martin @ Yankee Fitness Co), I've made HUGE strides in destroying my weaknesses and getting back to competition shape.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I typically train 2 to 3 hours 5 days a week. My one on one coach is Andrew Martin at Yankee Fitness Co. He's worked with me over the past couple of years to really work on my engine and gymnastics. For my diet, I do carb cycling and macros. But what really helps me out is the meal delivery service I use with Power Life Meals. They been integral to keeping me fueled through long days. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future)

Leading up to the Open last year, o was training in my backyard 100% due to covid and gym closures. I crushed the open more than I would have thought and ended up qualifiying for AGOQ and the Open Quarterfinals. I learned through adversity, you can overcome it by focusing on a neutral mindset. I focused on what I could do with what I had and went on 100%. I didn't focus on the bad (lack of shelter, equipment, etc...). 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

This is a hard one! Since losing 100lbs, I've gained a great appreciation for clean & whole foods and usually crave that. But if I'm really cheating, tequila or champagne is a splurge on the drink end. For food? Anything with truffle cheese, pork belly or pasta.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? Just one?

Ugh! Probably tumeric. It's essential for inflammation and joint health!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I wouldn't have waited to get serious about competing. I was wishy washy in my training for the first 3 years and waited 6 years to get a personal coach. If I would have locked in early, I'd be even better now.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?  

Sam Briggs because shes been through a similar path. We're older, both served in different ways, and had that fat period. Kara Webb because even after kids (like me) shes still balancing everything and crushing it

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Surround yourself with people that are better than you. Never be the best one in the room. You will grow so much more this way! That community will push you to excel instead of you getting comfortable in your current level.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

For the Open, I'm aiming to qualify for AGOQ and quarterfinals again which will be a huge achievement being that I haven't ran or jumped with this broken foot. For Grid 2022? I want to be added in to more gymnastic movements! I've trained upper body so much since breaking my foot that I'm a lot better this season.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

You can find me on IG @liveliftrun  thats my main fitness account. Otherwise, find me training at CrossFit Conquest in Davie, Florida or massaging at The BoxDoc!



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................