Wednesday 25 April 2018

12 Questions With Crossfit Athlete/Coach Kels Kiel


1) Who is Kels Kiel? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

HI! Who am I?! I am a 27 year old, dog loving, Crossfit coaching chick who currently lives in Boston, MA! I am a member of the Team Invictus Boston, I love Harry Potter, I love coaching Crossfit and Nutrition, and spending time with the people I love. I can't say no to a good cup of coff coff or glass of cheap red wine or some chocolate chip pancakes or sweet potato fries. I am the LUCKIEST that I have the best people in my life that support me in all the million things that I have going on in my life at any given moment. I believe firmly in believing in yourself and empowering others to be the best they can be!!

2) How many years have you been training?

I have been doing Crossfit for almost 4 years now (on and off). Competitively? I would say more like 3ish! 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Physically - I have a pretty bad herniation between my L5 and S1 in my low back. When I first started Crossfit, it flared up really badly. There was a time, the couple months before the 2016 Open, actually, that I didn't even touch a barbell. I've been really diligent in making sure I take care of the muscles around the injury to make sure I am feeling strong and supported back there. I also make sure I stretch and Romwod as often as possible. When I slack in this department, I absolutely feel the back hurting more than it should! But... I think the most challenging part of all of this, so far, has been my confidence and my mental "fitness". There are still days in the gym during training that I go into a workout gaming it, thinking about how I can *break this up* or *break that up* because of a lack of confidence (not because the workout should be gamed in that way;)). Luckily for me I have the best teammates and training partners around. They build me up, believe in me, and are confident in me and my abilities even if I lack that confidence in myself. They remind me to believe in myself!!

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I count my macros. I am usually pretty strict here, with being a little less strict on the weekends (and definitely more flexible during the off season). Now that we are ramping up our training for Regionals, I have been *better* on the weekends, because we are working hard all three days! Typical training is Tuesday / Wednesday more individualized weakness work as well as lifting and conditioning, and now its Fri // Sat // Sunday is Team Practice. SO we run through past team workouts and such and treat it as a Regionals style weekend! I LOVE IT! Its been the most fun!!! That worm tho...

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

This past year has been a learning year in so many ways. I have learned SO much about myself in the gym, in my life, in my nutrition, etc etc. In regards to training, I think one of the biggest things is learning to trust myself! Allow myself to fail, take the risks necessary to become a better athlete. Appreciate my body and all it can (and can't!) do within the gym!!. The trusting myself has come to be true in my life, as well. Taking risks, making choices base doff my happiness, and believing in myself has brought me to a really amazing place in my life: allowing myself to be human, to be imperfect, to allow myself to make mistakes, just making sure I learn from my mistakes. Trusting myself in so many aspects of my life - in my training, in my nutrition, in my relationships, in my coaching .. and the list could go on.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

UGHHHH. I think probably pancakes are top. Or sweet potato fries and a good burger. Or tacos. IDK I JUST LOVE FOOD!

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

My Revive RX Strawberry Recovery. I literally go through BAGS. So freaking tasty for my post workout shake. I am always sad when its done.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

This is interesting! Maybe going back to a few questions earlier, and appreciating my body for all it can do - I wouldn't change anything. It challenges me, and its supports me. I think that maybe if I could go back in time, I would focus on some running technique and such, to make the running easier, or maybe take some more gymnastics classes as a child, haha.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

There are just so many people I look up to! My best friends, who constantly inspire me to be better!! I would say Sara Sigmundsdottir is one of my faves, I just love her energy and her story. She's hungry, and I love seeing her drive.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Just one bit of advice??! Make sure you are always having fun. In the 3 years I have been doing this competitively, there have been the ups and downs, but I am never not enjoying it and loving it. If you aren't having fun, then you need to find something else ;)

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

The goal isn't new, but help my team crush the East Regional this year so we can go to Madison and place at the top of the Team competition. Long term? Make the Games as an individual. :)

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@kelskiel on IG, Twitter and Facebook




LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................