Monday 6 December 2021

12 Questions with Coach & Grid League Athlete Valerie Gunning

1) Who is Valerie Gunning (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself? (hobbies, etc) 

I am 23, I have bounced around a whole lot but was born in Albany, NY and I would say I’ve spent most of my time growing up in Naples, FL which is where I currently live. I earned by B.S in Applied Exercise Science from Springfield College in Massachusetts which led me to some cool internships with sports teams, one of them being in Australia. I am currently a coach at Shark Bite Fitness and Nutrition in Fort Myers and Cape Coral, FL. When I’m not training or working, I’m probably with my dog, laying in a hammock at the park, or planning my next trip somewhere.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

Athletics have always been a huge part of my life. I grew up doing gymnastics, soccer, track and field, cross country, and dabbled in NCAA diving before switching to powerlifting which ultimately led me to CrossFit and Grid League. I started in a commercial gym (similar to almost everyone) when I was about 14 with the intention of becoming a better gymnast but my methods were a bit flawed but hindsight is always 20/20, right? I’m extremely happy with where I’m heading now though so you have to trust that it’s all part of the process.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them? (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome?

The hardest part for me has definitely been managing overtraining and balancing that with realistic expectations. I am the type of person that just wants to “GO” 100% all the time, and nobody’s body is capable of that. We need rest, and letting myself know that rest IS productive and its not laziness has been an incredibly difficult mindset shift for me. I have had some minor surgeries and injuries that set me back little bits at a time but I was able to keep moving throughout the recovery process for them which I am thankful for.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).  

At the moment, both my nutrition and training are actually pretty relaxed. I don’t have any big competitions or events I’m trying to prepare for so I’ve been focused on trying to build the most healthy relationship I can with both those things. Becoming comfortable with intuitive eating and taking an extra day off when I feel that my body needs the rest have both been huge parts of my current routine. The more I can jump into a class and workout with other people, the better. It keeps it light and fun for me and I don’t have to think as much about what I need to be doing, the coach just tells me!

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future)
 
This past year has been nothing short of transformative in terms of my training and lifestyle. I have been lucky enough to surround myself with the most amazing group of people at Shark Bite and I have really learned how to take a step back and practice patience in times of frustration. I am still relatively very new to this whole sport so while some things come naturally because of my background, other things take a little bit of time and work. I hold myself to pretty high standards, especially with physical performances, so learning how to acknowledge when to take a step back from “performing” and just “practice” has been huge for me (and obviously, it’s a process. I’m still learning) 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?   

Just one? I have so many. Pizza obviously – but I also love chocolate chip pancakes, sour candy, and ice cream (my favorite flavors are mint chocolate chip and coffee, please don’t come for me). 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

Caffeine? Not sure if that counts but it definitely keeps me alive.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why? 

I would focus less on what I looked like in the beginning and more on what my body could DO. Restricting myself to be as small as possible for my sport actually hurt my performance so much and I wish I would’ve had better guidance from coaches and leaders in athletics.  

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to anyone who has had a MAJOR set back and has chosen to not let it define them. They still show up every day, put in the work, and crush goals to keep their independence. That kind of mindset is so admirable and hard to come by. It reminds me that I am SO lucky to be able to do the things that I love every single day.   

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Don’t be discouraged by small progress (that’s actually the best kind of progress, it’s sustainable). Its so easy to get caught up in these astronomical changes you see online that don’t align with what really happens in real life. Run your own race, commit to what works for you and your goals, and make it fun!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

I’m looking to put a couple new skills under my belt for the 2022 season with the SWFL Sharks. We want that championship this year!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

@valerie_gunning on pretty much everything!



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................