Monday 20 January 2020

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete Beth Layton

1) Who is Beth Layton? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m 23 years old and from a small town outside of Durham in the UK. I have a pretty boring job working 8-4 in an office, my hobbies when I’m not working or training are getting outdoors and exploring new places, travelling and binge watching Netflix

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been doing CrossFit for almost 2 years now. Before I started CrossFit I didn’t really do anything, I would just go to the gym and do bootcamps/HIIT classes etc. I actually watched The Fittest On Earth which is what got me into CrossFit, and I am so happy I did now!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I’ve been pretty lucky up till now and haven’t had any serious injuries. But I would say my biggest challenge would be weightlifting. I have never been the strongest and was always scared of lifting heavy weights (especially trying to snatch) but that just came down to me having horrendous technique, which I have worked a lot on now and came a long way. But I surround myself with encouraging like minded people which really helps.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I will train 6 days a week, one day being an active recovery day and then on a Sunday I will swim. I follow JST compete, so they do all of my programming for me. My diet is pretty much the same every week, I use the RP strength app to keep my macros on track. I will have a treat day on weekend though, I don’t restrict myself too much!

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I have learnt a lot since I first started CrossFit! When you are just training for fun you don’t take things like your nutrition/sleep etc into consideration. But when you start to train for performance and want to compete and be the best you can be you soon learn that these factors do have a massive impact on your training!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Oooh thats a tough one, I do love Pizza but for something sweet it has to be freshly baked chocolate cookies

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Every day I take creatine which I just mix in with my protein shakes!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

If I knew when I was younger that I was going to end up doing CrossFit, I would stick to a sport at a competitive level, so when I transitioned to CrossFit I would of known what to expect

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I absolutely love all of the girls who compete at the Games. But there are a few girls on instagram I follow who manage to compete at sanctions level, while working full time and having children! Which I just find incredible and admire them so much!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Never compare yourself to anybody else or the progress that they are making! Everyone is different and as long as you know that you are giving your all then thats all that matters!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

My goal for this year/next year is to hopefully qualify or a sanctioned event, and to just keep training hard and improving every day!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

My instagram account is @beth_layton

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................