Wednesday 4 December 2019

12 Questions with Triathlete Katie Zaferes


1) Who is Katie Zaferes? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born and raised in Hampstead, MD, went to Syracuse University for college and currently “live” about 1/3 of the year in Santa Cruz, CA and besides that I’m on the road racing the World Triathlon Series which is draft legal Olympics distance triathlon. My husband trains with me and works at my races as a social media contractor and photographer and we get to do this whole things together so are basically together 24/7. I really like to journal, nap and write rhyming poems.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I I did my first triathlon with my dad right after high school but at the time I didn’t really know what it was and it was just something to do with him. I’ve legitimately been training as a triathlete since 2013, and got started kind of by luck as I was running Division I at Syracuse University and I got recruited by the USA Triathlon Collegiate Recruitment Program that recruits Division I runners who have a background in swimming…which was me!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most challenging part of the journey so far has been improving my skills on the bike and learning to control the mental side of things with fear and discomfort. Especially after crashing on the bike it has been so crucial to be able to get back on the bike and rebuild confidence quickly. I’ve worked a lot on my mental strategies and awareness. I work with a sports psych and practice developing these skills daily.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

As a triathlete everyday is different. Usually certain days of the week emphasize a certain discipline. For instance Tuesday and Saturday are run focused and Thursday and Sunday are ride focused. I end up training about 20-25 hours a week. I eat to fuel myself for the type of day that I am having. So Monday which is our easier day I eat mostly protein and veggies. On harder days I have more carbs and protein. However in general I just eat a variety.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future). 

Most of the knowledge I have learned is on the mental side of things. I’ve learned mental strategies for training and racing and it has made me so much more aware and in tune with my feelings, emotions and thought process and just how to use the skills I’ve developed on a daily basis. Nutrition wise has been mostly about timing of different food groups and also making sure to practice the fueling that I want to do during my races during training so my stomach gets used to it.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Cereal, I basically have no self control when it comes to it. So where as most things are fine in moderation…I just don’t know that word with cereal (my favorites being Oatmeal Squares and Granola).

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I wouldn’t say there’s any supplement that I can’t live without but I do enjoy having my F2C Pharma-Greens in the morning to start the day off right.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

Honestly I wouldn’t change a thing. I feel like all the good experiences and bad experiences have been equally rewarding. I also feel like timing wise I have been super lucky on all accounts. I’ve said yes to opportunities that arose and seemed intimidating at first but have certainly worked out in my favor!

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I really look up to all the people who have overcome adversity or are balancing challenging schedules while also fitting in time for themselves. This isn’t a specific answer, but these are the people who inspire me the most.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

To take everyday as a learning experience and a chance to be better don’t be overwhelmed by the end goal. Set specific process related goals that keep you focused on the process rather than the outcome.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

My outcome goal is to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic team. My process goals are to continue to develop my skills and confidence on the bike and become more tactically astute in my races.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@kzaferes6 on instagram and twitter and www.facebook.com/katiezaferestriathlete



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................