Monday 22 November 2021

12 Questions with Crossfit Coach and Athlete Samantha Nalley

1) Who is Samantha Nalley? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself, hobbies, etc) 

I was born and raised here in Minnesooota. (If you can picture an extremely heavy Minnesotan accent! 🤪) I am 32, I coach gymnastics and CrossFit for work, and I have a full time job as a single mama. I also do competitive CrossFit and Florida Grid League. Despite an achilles tear last year I managed to be more successful this past year than I could’ve dreamed of- my team, Timberwolf CrossFit, and I qualified to the CrossFit Games and my FGL team, Gainesville Wild, had an extremely fun and successful season as well. My main sport growing up was gymnastics, which I did for about 15 years. 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

I started CrossFit in 2013 in an attempt to lose weight that I had gained throughout college. I did not like the idea of it, nor did I want big muscles, but my friend dragged me to a class and the competitive person in me fell in love with it. So here I am 8 years later and loving all the big muscles!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

Being a single parent is by far the hardest obstacle I’ve had to overcome. I had many hard/ dark days, but in the end the hardest things in life always make you the strongest. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).  

I usually train around 3 hours a day give or take a few depending on how fast I’m moving that day. Typically I rest Thursdays and Sundays, but sometimes I use Thursdays to get some running or swimming in. As far as diet, I’ve gone back and forth with counting calories and macros, but what works best for me right now is having an idea of the portions I’m supposed to be eating and just eating clean and when I’m hungry without tracking. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future) 

The most important things I’ve learned are… 1- you will eventually hit walls or get hurt if you don’t train things right and with proper form. 2- life and training is easy when you can trust in your coach and the process. 3- everything you do outside of the gym is just as important, if not more important than what you do in the gym. (sleep, stress levels, nutrition, recovery, etc.) 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?   

Panera mac n cheese, Firehouse Italian sub, Ribeye steak, and Heggies Pizza to name a few! 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

They all serve their different purposes so it’s hard to choose just one! I suppose my multivitamin since it’s got B vitamins and Vitamin D in it, and we really need Vitamin D up north here during the winter! 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would’ve started CrossFit right after I was done competing gymnastics, and would’ve taken better care of myself in general right away. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?   

I look up to my coach & teammate Roderick Holloway. There is no way I would not be where I am today without him. He has shown me what it means to be a good teammate, how to compete and be successful at a high level, and his knowledge and passion for programming and training is second to none. Being able to have 100% faith in your coach makes training absolutely great. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Learn proper form before pushing the weights! 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

Place top 10 at the 2022 CrossFit Games as a team. I’d like to dabble in some individual stuff in the near future as well. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)   

Instagram- Sammy Nalley (sammygnal)


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................