Tuesday 30 November 2021

12 Questions with Grid/CrossFit Athlete and Coach Bryleigh Hansen

1) Who is Bryleigh Hansen (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself? (hobbies, etc))

From a small town in Idaho. My entire childhood revolved around gymnastics. When I wasn't in the gym training, I was doing anything outdoors. (camping, four-wheeling, boating, fishing, snowboarding etc..) 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

Depends on what type of training you are referring to? I was a gymnast for nearly 15 years, once my gymnastics career was over... I took about 6 months of not doing much before I started CrossFit in 2012. So, a little over 9 years doing CrossFit and I have been mainly GRID focused for the last 1.5 years. So, in total 25 years of training for various things! (wow, I'm old) 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them? (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

Being done with gymnastics was the most difficult task work around, mainly the mental side. It was something I did for 15 years every single day of my life. I lived and breathed that sport, then when it's over, it's like you rammed right into a brick wall with no clue what happened. Thinking, "Like what now?" Luckily, CF came a few months later and I knew it was something I could excel in and gave me that good mental push that gymnastics always gave me. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).  

In the last 1.5 years, a typical workout for me has been a lot of EMOM's/intervals. I shifted from the 'typical crossfit workout' of strength then metcon, into more interval specific work for GRID. Since GRID is basically giving 100% capacity/effort on the grid for short periods, a typical day now looks something like: max c2b in 30 seconds, rest 1-1.5 min - repeat for 5-6 sets. Mixed in with things like 15 hang cleans for time, rest x amount of time - repeat for sets. These are examples of what I do opposed to things like 20 min AMRAPS etc.. Anything 'long distance' type stuff, I have veered away from for quite sometime now.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future)

Well, I would say the last 1.5-2 years, but it does NOT take 3-4 hours a day in the gym to reach your goals. My workouts typically last around 45 minutes and I'm in just as great of shape now (maybe better) as I was when I was training for numerous hours a day. Quality over quantity and knowing what you're doing in programming for it.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?   

Anything carby. Is that a word? I could literally down a whole loaf of plain bread and 3 lbs of pasta in one sitting. All plain and so boring, but give me the noodles! 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

Does rice count? haha just kidding, but I'm not much of a supplement person, but the one somewhat consistent       supplement​ I take would just be protein. 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why? 

Absolutely nothing. I've worked extremely hard my whole life for good health and the physique I have. From a young age, I knew good health took priority over a lot of things in life. HOWEVER, If there was anything I could tell my younger self to help myself out a bit during the process, it would be to ease up on the booze haha whoops, but YOLO. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?   

That's a hard one. I don't have one specific person I look up to.. I look up to anyone that puts the time and effort into their fitness goals, famous or not. Anyone that knows how to prioritize fitness for longevity is winning in my book.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be? 

Don't stop and don't ever use the excuse that time is the problem for reaching fitness goals. Like I said above, it doesn't take hours everyday in the gym to reach your goals. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

Top secret, but after my top secret goal.. my next goal, fitness wise at least, is to do my damn best at Wodapalooza in January! Oh, and after that would be to win Champs next year with my South Beach Palms! aka; the coolest team in the league😎
 
12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

IG: @ bryleighhansen
Blog: dontbeabitch.blog



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................