Wednesday 14 February 2018

12 Questions with Personal Trainer/Powerlifter Alyssa Smith


1)Who is Alyssa Smith? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

My name is Alyssa Smith, I’m 25 years old and live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I’m a personal trainer and self-employed @ Smith Strength Systems. Through Smith Strength Systems I do online coaching, sell merchandise and make quarterly donations to the Canadian Women’s Foundation to help end human trafficking.The goal is to help move women out of violence and into confidence.

One of my main hobbies is powerlifting- I’ve been lifting since I was a kid. I competed @ my first competition in 2009, so that’s 9 years now, boy I’m getting old ha-ha. Since then I’ve climbed the rankings, set multiple provincial, national and world records in multiple weight classes and federations. I’m currently competing in the CPU/IPF which is a drug tested federation. I’m training for National’s which is just shy of a week away in the 72kg(158lbs) weight class category in hopes of qualifying for the World Championships later this year.

My current best competition lifts @ 72kg(158lbs) are: 

Squat: 190.5kg(420lbs) 
Bench: 95kg(209lbs) 
Deadlift: 212.5kg(468lbs)

Besides for powerlifting and work, I’m a huge traveler. I love back packing and have done most of Europe, Central America and soon to be Asia. I’m a licensed scuba diver and spend lots of time in the ocean when I can. It helps reset my brain, de-stress and live life to the fullest.

2) How many years have you been training?

I’ve been training for 12 years and competing in powerlifting for 9 years.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I’ve been injured more times than I can count on my hands and feet, I’ve been accused of taking drugs, I’ve been bullied and there have been times where I’ve decided to give up the sport all together. Overtime I’ve come to learn that being injured is a part of the process. When you’re constantly pushing your body beyond its limits something will eventually give and that’s okay. Though it can be frustrating I look at is as an opportunity to strengthen my weaknesses and grow and become better than before. I’ve also learned the better you become as an athlete the more people begin to judge and throw negative comments your way. I can’t even begin to tell you the comments I’ve gotten, “she’s competed in multiple federations, she’s obviously on drugs”, “it’s not possible for a women to gain strength that quickly”, “she looks like a man”, the list goes on. These comments used to really bother me but overtime I’ve come to learn that these people are behind you for a reason and most of them know absolutely nothing about me nor do they know I’ve been tested over 20 times. I take these negative comments and use them to fuel my fire, they help me continue to become stronger and more confident.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

When I’m competing I train 4 days a week and my training evolves around the 3 main powerlifts, squat bench and deadlift. My routine looks like this: 

Monday: Squat + accessories 
Tuesday: Bench + accessories 
Wednesday: OFF 
Thursday: Deadlift+ accessories 
Friday: Bench + accessories 
Saturday/Sunday: OFF 

When I’m not competing in powerlifting I tend to do more body building style training to work on weaknesses and gain muscle. My split looks similar but I tend to do more variations including front squats, OH press, zercher squats deficit deadlifts etc.

The volume/intensity varies depending where I am in my training cycle. As far as diet goes, about 3 years ago I hired Greg Doucette an IFBB Pro body builder for my nutrition. It’s hard to describe the foods I eat as most of them are recipes he’s created. I follow his regime on a daily and it’s high protein, moderate carbs and low fat. It’s helped me tremendously with portion control and understanding what my body needs to function optimally.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

Life is too short, so live it to the fullest. Training & nutrition can be an obsession and sometimes I get lost in the mix. I feel drained, tired and overwhelmed- sometimes it’s hard to find time to do other things that need to be done, including daily activities, seeing friends, traveling etc. Though training and nutrition is a huge part of my life I always make a point to take a break, travel, go out with friends and enjoy life to the fullest.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Pizza, definitely pizza. I have a cheese obsession and rarely get to eat it so when I do you better bet I put extra cheese and I may pay for it for days ha-ha. Totally worth it though.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

BCAA’s- I love Branch Chain Amino Acids for intra workout and I find it helps tremendously with my recovery.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I wouldn’t do anything differently. Powerlifting has taught me many valuable lessons and has taught me to be body positive through strength and determination. Throughout my childhood and most of my teen years I was insecure, overweight and lacked confidence and belief in myself. I was constantly bullied about my weight and I made decisions according to how I felt, which was worthless. I turned to drugs and alcohol to mask my insecurities in hopes that it would solve all my problems, but it did the complete opposite and I was going down an even darker path than before. I often thought to myself, why am I here, do I even have a purpose on this earth?

I never actually contemplated suicide but I was in a serious state of depression and felt lost. In a way powerlifting saved my life. It changed my view on myself and moreover showed me the beauties in life. It’s taught me to put 110% effort into everything I do and to never give up and for that I am forever thankful.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to many people in the fitness industry. A few of them being, Dana Lynn Bailey, Mark Bell, Kim Walford, Gracie Vannase and Rhaea Stinn. These ones stick out to me the most because I believe in what they stand for, they all came from nothing, they worked as hard as they possibly could, made something of themselves all while having a positive and upbringing impact in the fitness industry.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Be patient and the results will follow. Being strong and figuring out how your body works takes time and effort; it doesn’t happen over -night. Don’t ever think that you don’t compare to others and always remember you’re doing this for yourself and no one else. There’s no end to your progression, enjoy the process and continue to be the best you can be.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

My current goals are to compete @ CPU Powerlifting National’s 2018 and qualify for World’s 2018. I would like to total 500kg for a new personal best, squatting over 190kg, benching over 95kg and deadlifting over 212.5kg. If I qualify for the Worlds Championships I’d like to place top 3 in the 72kg Open category and take a crack @ the squat world record which is currently 196.5kg. After the competitions are complete I’m going to take an elongated break and take a trip of a lifetime to Asia with a few of my best friends. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: @alyssasmithpl & @smithstrengthsystems

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................