Wednesday 10 October 2018

12 Questions with Crossfit Athlete Shellie Edington


1) Who is Shellie Edington? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born in Hawaii to a marine and a stay at home mom in 1964. During my fathers 2 tours of duty in Vietnam my parent moved back to Fairmont WV before the birth of my brother. I was raised in WV. I began dance and acrobats at age 3 and began gymnastics training at age 12. I became an advanced level gymnast (equivalent to today’s level 9) from age 13-17. I opted out of 2 full ride scholarships due to anxiety during competitions and went to Fairmont State college. I transferred to Ohio State in 1984 met my soon to be husband and we were married in 1985. We have 3 beautiful daughters, 2 son in law’s and 1 grandson. In 1996 I began coaching tumbling classes in a local dance studio. In 2000 I developed a preschool gymnastics curriculum and founded Tumblin4Kids Mobile Gymnastics and Fitness for ages 2-12. We flip out at daycares and parks & recs. I began Crossfit in 2010 because I was losing strength and flexibility due to age and lack of physical exercise.  

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

8 years - Someone told me about Crossfit Kids and I wanted to check it out as it sounded like competition for my Tumblin4Kids program. I met the CF affiliate Mitch Potterf he said how about I come to one of your classes and you come to one of mine. After my first CF workout - i was afraid to go back and that made me angry so I made myself go back.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Balancing my training with career and family has been the biggest challenge. I learned through a process of trial and error. Having a great coach as well as Crossfit competitors to learn from helped me to achieve my competitive Crossfit goals.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

My training & nutrition looks different based upon my goals. How much I eat depends on how much I need to train. How much I need to train depends on what I am attempting to accomplish. The Crossfit season is pretty intense as the competitive athlete really gets very little downtime. The open is 5 weeks basically end of February - March. The qualifier or regional is in the spring and the Games are in the summer. All of those competitions require 100% of all you got. So training is intense and increases as you near the Games. So if I am competing and my goal is to get to the Games I will increase training volume and food intake. I will still take 1 full rest day, 1 full active rest day & afternoon naps everyday for recovery. If I am not competing my goals are to stay healthy and mobile. I still train 5x/week but at a different intensity level and I do not require as much food or rest.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future). 

Crossfit has taught me to have no doubts about what I am able to accomplish. It has also unleashed an incredible ambition to help others understand that they should constantly be striving to become the very best version of themselves. Because we all deserve that person! Along with building Tumblin4Kids I have been a Crossfit and Corporate wellness coach for the past 2 years.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Pizza!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

100% MR

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

Nothing. Every misstep, every woulda,shoulda, coulda, every success was an invaluable lesson which I needed to become the person I am today. I have no regrets - waking into Fit Club/Crossfit 614 was one of the best decisions of my life.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Greg Glassman He started a new fitness phenom and sport. Backed by solid science! He designed a brilliant, competitive affiliate program so that other like minded individuals could be apart of it. He is spear heading a fight against American government big soda and sugar He is fighting to end diabetes and obesity He’s got no shame in his game and will not slink away from a fight to defend his brand and company.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

“Start now. Find a Crossfit affiliate this very minute”.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

•Developing online programming to help people attain their lifestyle and fitness goals.
•Partnering with others in the fitness industry to help impact as many lives as possible
•To motivate others to get moving and remind them that they are not done yet - it is never to late!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

ShellieEdington.com
Instagram - shellie_edingto
 Facebook - Shellie Edington Athlete


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................