Wednesday 8 January 2020

12 Questions with Professional Bodybuilder Lisa McLean

1) Who is Lisa McLean? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born, raised and currently reside in Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada. I work as a personal loans and mortgage manager and I'm a mother to a 10 year old son. Bodybuilding doesn't always allow a lot of time for other hobbies but I do enjoy spending time playing Nintendo with my son and time at our family camp in the summer.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been competitively bodybuilding for 4 years but I have been lifting for over 15 years. I knew in highschool that I was drawn to the fitness world and I was a competitive cheerleader and cheer coach for many years. Previous to that I was also in martial arts, and I honestly believe that all of the other sports and disciplines have contributed to the athlete that I am today. I entered my first deadlift competition in 2007 and I loved working towards getting stronger with each session in the gym. I continued to work at getting stronger, always knowing that I would compete in bodybuilding when the time was right.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most difficult part of undertaking bodybuilding for me is the time spent away from the house, and the guilt I feel in terms of the time I feel that I could or should be spending with my son. There is a fine balance of sacrifice and dedicating the necessary time to being a pro level athlete, and it's not always easy to strike that balance.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I typically lift 6 days a week, cardio at a minimum in my current offseason, maybe 30mins four times a week. My lifting split would typically be Day 1 Quads, Day 2 Back, Day 3 Delts, Day 4 Hamstrings/Glutes, Day 5 Chest or Arms, Day 6 would be a 2nd session for either back or delts.  I still have a bit of room to grow certain muscle groups and therefore I do push heavy weight for most of my sessions to optimize hypertrophy.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I have learned the importance of mental health. If your mind isn't positive and you're not manifesting your goals there is a piece of the puzzle missing. I found that I could easily be thrown off track or allow doubt to creep in if I allowed stress and anxiety to control my daily thoughts. I used journaling and daily affirmations to assist my mental game, which then lead to more consistent training, nutrition and overall well being.  

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

A go-to re-feed for me is usually a juicy burger and sweet potatoes fries. And I'm also a cereal junkie... Cinnamon toast crunch, or lucky charms... lol

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I couldn't live without Vitamin D. In Canada our winter days are very dark and we don't receive enough sunshine... it's a must!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

If I had to start again, I'm not sure I would have done anything differently. I firmly believe that everything leads you to where you're meant to be and it's all in a grand plan.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to Mindi O'Brien, Fouad Abiad, Jodi Boam and Neil Hill... 3 amazing Canadian IFBB pro bodybuilders and one amazing IFBB coach, all who have had a long tenure in bodybuilding and all who I believe to be great ambassadors for the sport of bodybuilding. They are all humble, and have impacted my outlook and perspective on life and sport.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Enjoy it! That's my advice... find the right reasons to undertake your goals. You need to discover what you love about lifting, fitness and life, then it will make everything else easy. When you truly love it... it will find you. And also to be consistent in diet and in the weight room, pour passion into it but be consistent in your pursuit.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I will be debuting in 2020 on the pro circuit, undecided on the show just yet, but my goal is set for a competition sometime in July. I will be bringing a new but necessary level of conditioning for this season and that the largest goal for myself going into 2020.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

I do the most posting regarding fitness related stuff on Instagram: @mclean_mcfit_ifbbpro

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................