Thursday 11 October 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Coach/Athlete Marisa de los Santos


1) Who is Marisa de los Santos? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m from Katy, TX and I’m a full time coach and athlete. I love dancing, being a goofball, having fun, and just enjoying life. I enjoy traveling to places where I can be out doors..especially the river. I’d say I’m an adventurous soul.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I started crossfit about 4 years ago. A friend who I worked with told me they thought I’d be pretty good at it and that I should come try out his gym. I took him up on his offer and I remember my first workout was running/toes to bar/and pull ups. I could not move the next day! Lol I ended up not coming back for 8 months or so until I worked up enough courage. Now I truly love it and I’m so glad I went against everything my mind was telling me “you can’t do this”..”it’s too hard”..”I look ridiculous”.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

For me the negative Nancys have been the hardest. I truly try and live my life for me but I’m a super emotional human being and words hurt me more than anything physical. I’m proud to say that I’ve been able to re direct my mind from the people who really don’t want to see me grow and I only surround myself purposely with people who are good for my soul. On the opposite end I broke my hip about 3 summers back and that was very traumatic for me. I wasn’t able to use my lower body for almost 8 months. I healed very quickly thank God!

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

My typical workout day consists of a strength piece, metcon and some accessories. I usually spend about an hour-2 hours training. For my diet I can honestly say I don’t follow anything in particular..I choose my food wisely though and always opt for WHOLE/REAL food.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I’ve realized that quality and intensity is far more important that quantity. I use to think that I had to be working out 24/7 and doing whatever everyone else is doing to stay on top of the game. I now choose my workouts wisely and generally do one to two pieces that usually has a weakness for me and go all out on it rather than doing 5 pieces a day with zero intensity because I am dead. As for nutrition and life style I can go on and on about what I’ve recently learned. I’ve discovered different food tests that’s helped me understand my body and how it reacts to certain foods. I find this super important because everyone is different. And something that can be extremely beneficial for someone else can actually be harmful to my body. That’s why I’m always encouraging people to pay attention to how their body feels constantly and learn how to understand it rather than following certain fad diets.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Cinnamon rolls..hands down.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

This is a tough question for me. I don’t really take many supplements and I could definitely live without them lol, but if I had to choose it would be creatine..most definitely.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I’d definitely be more patient with myself and become more in tune with my body quicker. I’d research more and make one of my main focuses to learn more about what makes MY body work better and not fall into the health fads that everyone gets caught up in.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Ben Greenfield..he’s awesome and is always thinking outside the box and is truly trying to learn about his body and help others do the same.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Don’t get overwhelmed with comparing yourself to others. Everyone starts somewhere and you have to focus on your journey.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

As a smaller athlete getting stronger will always be a main focus for me.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram @Marisa_diane


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................