Tuesday 24 December 2019

12 Questions with CrossFit Coach/Athlete Anna Donauer


1) Who is Anna Donauer? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself hobbies, etc)

I´m Anna. Grown up in a small village in austria. I spent most of my youth eating cucumber, playing hide and seek outside with my friends and learned how to make an ollie with my mountainbike.

Today I´m still that girl. Not a lot has changed. Only that now I have three degrees, did my level 1 and I found out that being an CrossFit Coach and Athlete, travelling the world, is everything I ever wanted. I appreciate being able to life that life.

 2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I started CrossFit in 2014. In my first CrossFit class we did turkish get ups. I hated CrossFit J I didn´t understand why I should lay down with a kettlebell do get up after. Haha. But my friends convinced me to take another class..then I got hooked and I slowly fell in love with CrossFit. The sports itself, but also the community and lifestyle. It hast changed my whole life.  

 3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

In 2015 I had a burn out. I was stuck in work, up to 100hrs a week. I was working in an advertising acengy. Thought that making lots of money will make me happy. My career was everything that mattered to me.But then I found CrossFit when I was on holidays. Finally I had a reason to leave the office in the evening. CrossFit became more important to me. So CrossFit kinda saved me. Taught me that money isn´t everything.  

 4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I just started working with a new coach and nutritionist so things changed up a bit. I follow two programmings – one is focused on strength (Sonny Webster) and the other one is lots of Conditiong (the forgeconcept). Right now my training is very unspecific cause I´m in my offseason. I barely do workouts. I´m preparing for the CrossFit Games 2020 which gives me 7 months to get ready. So unspecific training now and the closer we are to the games the more specific my training will get.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I got my degree in sports in 2011. But since then lots things changed. I love to develop as a coach and always make sure that I´m up to date. But still so much more to learn. As an athlete my biggest learning ist hat I have to eat lots to perform. My nutrition changed a lot. Some years ago I tried so many different kind of diets. I was afraid of carbs, afraid of gainin weight cause I wanted to look a certain way.

Today I love to eat, I wanna marry carbs and I eat to perform. My relationship with food completely changed and made my life so much easier.  

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

You can always make me happy with every kind of dumplings, crispy pork ribs or tiramisu. But I also would nevery say `no` to strawberry ice cream or cheetos.  

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

There is no supplement I couldn´t live without. I don´t supplement lots. I take fish oil, Vitamin C, magnesium, creatine and everything from braineffect.

 8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

Id add tons of carbs in my diet way earlier. I would have focused on sleep way more.

 9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Sounds cheesy, but I look up to everyone that is willing to put lots of work into training to reach individual work. Doesn´t matter what level. I know how hard it can be sometimes to motivate ourselves to go to the gym and work hard.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Set small goals. Don´t be impatient. Trust the process. Don´t beat yourself down. Hard work pays off. Make butter!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I´m super excited going to the CrossFit games 2020.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

www.annamakesbutter.com (soon)
@anna_makes_butter on instagram

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................