Thursday 22 March 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete Sam Briggs


1) Who is Sam Briggs? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m Sam Briggs a full time CrossFitter from the UK. I started CrossFitting to get stronger for my job as a firefighter and I was competing in Triathlons. I soon discovered that crossfit was my passion and I was pretty good at it so took the leap and became a professional athlete. When I’m not training I enjoy reading and watching movies. I’m a big traveler and love experiencing new cultures.

2) How many years have you been training?

I started CrossFitting in 2009 and competed at my first Games in 2010.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I’ve had a few serious injuries that I’ve had to overcome but focussing on things you can still do instead of what you can’t do helps to get through. Not making it to the Games in 2014 was a huge set back. As upsetting as it was I chose to use it as fuel for the next season.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I train full days Mon-Wed and Fri-Sat with active recovery on a Thursday and Sunday. Those days vary throughout the season depending on what phase of training I’m on.

I eat a clean diet no processed foods or sugar 90% of the time then allow myself to enjoy a treat, which is usually pizza on a Saturday night.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

I’ve learnt a lot more about gut health and it’s importance this year!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I normally go for a pizza as it seems to tick all the boxes. Sourdough pizza with chicken and pepperoni usually wins!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Fish oil has been a huge part of my supplement regime since I started training.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would take more time with the basics and proper movement mechanics which would have probably saved me a few injuries!

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I like to look outside of CrossFit and watch the best at their specific sport to try influence how I improve in each element of CrossFit. When the olympics are on it’s perfect viewing you get to see the very best doing all the sports I’m trying to incorporate into my training! And I love watching world strongman, what those guys put their bodies through is crazy!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Enjoy yourself fitness shouldn’t be a chore.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

Always the same, keep pushing forward and try to be the best I can be.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@bicepslikebriggs



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................