Friday 9 February 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete/Coach Laura Faulkner


1) Who is Laura Faulkner? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I grew up and went to school in High Wycombe. I have ridden horses all my life! I love eating food and drinking coffee 😊 I have 2 jobs. 1 is working as a coach at CrossFit Bath which is something I am hugely passionate about (this should come as no surprise!) I also work at Bath Spa University in Sustainability. Previously, I worked full time in Administration (zzz) at the University. But in the middle of this year I had to opportunity to make the change and go part time. It has changed my life and I feel very lucky to be doing something I love so much.

2) How many years have you been training?

I have been training CrossFit for around 6-7 years now! Which has literally flown by!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

2 years ago whilst training towards qualifying for my 4th year at CrossFit Games Regionals I got swine flu. The virus really took hold of me and I have never in my life been so sick, weak and just empty.

The illness was really aggressive for about 2 months and I was bed bound, training was the last thing on my mind! But the recovery was so much longer and took a full year to be fully back to normal. Mainly because I tried to do to much to soon and I am very lucky not to have really damaged myself.

If I had the oppurtunity to do things differently I really would. It really hit me hard mentally. Not only was I very poorly but I could see all the hard work I had been putting in for years slip away and my body really was giving up on me, this was very hard to come to terms with.To be honest I really thought I was invincible, young, healthy person and I could never get an illness like that. It made me realise I wasn’t.

I learned a lot of things about myself during this time. I learnt to be patient and I understand my body more than I ever did before. I am learning how to channel my emotions towards something positive. Training my mindset is just as important as training my body and I know this now.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Typically I do around 7-8 training sessions a week. Paul Warrior (Warrior Programming) does my programming and we make a great partnership. I have been working with him for nearly 2 years . I train at CrossFit Bath and have done since starting my CrossFit journey. I have recently started working with We Dominate Nutrition to make sure my nutritional needs are met with the aim of becoming stronger and more powerful.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I have learned that you need to be enjoying whatever your doing else there is little point. You also need to believe 100% in the people your working with. Do your best every day and you cant go too wrong. 

Nutrition is so important for recovery and anyone looking to take the new step in there training really must look into changing their nutrition, It has really helped me.

For me, it is very important to have a balanced lifestyle and my whole life does not revolve around training. Granted I spend most of my time training BUT I also know when to switch off.

My boyfriend Alec Harwood is training CrossFit to a high level also. I think people think we sit at home and talk about CrossFit and training but we most definitely don't. When you set in the gym its go time. When you step out the gym its recovery/rest time which also means enjoying other things life has to offer!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Depends on what mood I am in I like lots of different foods. Pizza and cheesecake has got to be up there though.

7) one supplement that you could not live without? 

Xendurance Fuel. It delicious and it great for pre, during or post training.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

Not sure I understand this question fully?! For me its never been about the way I look. Don't get me wrong to see your body changing for the better is absolutely a rewards but its not something that drives me. Becoming a better athlete does. Physique is just a by-product.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Kelly Holmes. She has so many achievements in different disciplines, overcome some demons and she comes across as a really nice person which to me is massively important.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Enjoy what your doing. Don't go in too deep too quickly. DO THE CLASSES WITH OTHER MEMBERS!

So many people doing CrossFit for 5 minutes and then on personalised programming training on their own in the corner. I did 3 years of classes no extras! Before even thinking about a personal programming. I was very lucky to be part of an amazing gym with some of the best coaching! But this really is the best way to start out.

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

Become a better athlete. Always the same goals. Anything that comes with that is a bonus.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram - @laurafaulkner22


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................