Tuesday 24 April 2018

12 Questions With Crossfit Athlete/Coach Andrew Kong


1) Who is Andrew Kong? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m from La Habra, California currently residing in Irvine, California with my wife Janelle and my two pitbulls. I work as a coach at CrossFit Tustin. On my free time, I have various hobbies depending on the season such as going to the beach, bodyboarding, body surfing, hiking, snowboarding, or just hanging out with the dogs with the wife.

2) How many years have you been training?

I have been training since 2011, so 6-7 years now.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most challenging thing in my journey was the beginning. Not only did I come in with no lifting experience, I also didn't have any land training because I was a water polo player/swimmer. On top of that, along with being a beginner, I started CrossFit 7months post Femur fracture.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I usually start with accessory work. And then lifting because I love lift. Finally death, usually finish with one or two conditioning pieces depending on the day. As for diet, I eat everything as long it’s not processed.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

In the last year I have learnt environment plays a huge factor. Environment includes the people you train with, the energy with the group, and most importantly your mindset.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I really enjoy Churros and ice cream.

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

One supplement I couldnt not go without is Endless from Inspired Nutra, a carb/bcaa drink.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I think I would stay the same route. I always have been very structured and progressive with my training. The down side is starting so far behind, so if I started where I am now who knows where I would be.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Mat Fraser. Not only because his work ethic, everyone can work hard. But his quality of movement and ability to sustain it, which I highly relate to.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Have structure and don't get influenced so easily by competitors or jumping ahead of your level. Far too many people get hurt because they get too antsy to get better faster. Takes time.

11) What new goals are on the horizon? 

To make the Games as a team, who knows what the future holds. But always to be better than I was the year before.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts

IG: @nfkingkong



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................