Saturday 13 January 2018

12 Questions With Matt Cho (Macro Lean)


1) Who is Matt Cho? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born in South West London and grew up in and around the SW London/Surrey suburbs.

I was doing martial arts as soon as I could walk as my dad taught Kung-Fu and Chinese martial arts. I competed regularly throughout my teenage years in semi contact and then full contact Chinese boxing, going on to represent the UK national team.

I moved to Asia in 2006 to pursue a career acting and action films working and living in first Hong Kong and then Bangkok, Thailand. 

Whilst I was living in Thailand I met a fellow Brit called Richard who had his own personal training business and would become my best friend, mentor and boss.

In 2007 I helped Richard found Thailand's first functional fitness studio training mainly western expats and athletes which is still the market leader in south-east Asia and going strong.

I now specialize in fat loss and strength training!

In 2015 I moved back to London and founded my company Macro Lean which is an online coaching start-up teaching everyday people the power in tracking their macronutrients and strength training. It's helping people all over the world take control of their diets and bodies and teaching them what works without all the BS, crap and confusion.

2) How many years have you been training?

Hard to say. At least 25 years!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I have had rejections and set-backs in every area of my life from business, sport, relationships, injuries and they have all been great teachers and lessons I needed to learn. 

One very difficult time was back in 2013 when I tore the labrum in my right shoulder and needed a major repair. I was in the hospital for 3 days, in a sling for 8 weeks and it took me over a year to get back to 100%.

I suffered mentally and physically but again it was what I needed and if I had listened to what life and my body was trying to tell me I'm sure I could of avoided it. None the less I am glad it happened and I learnt a lot more about injury and rehab which has helped me and my clients tremedously.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I lift weights 4 times per week doing a mix of strength and hypertrophy training. I'll also through in some yoga, gymnastics and martial arts on gym rest days to mix things up In regards, to diet follow a vegan plant-based diet which is high in carbs, moderate protein and low fat

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I went vegan about 9 months ago after playing around with being a vegetarian for a year before that. I absolutely love it and it resonates with me for ethical reasons, health and performance. After trying every diet under the sun in the past decade I can say that a high carb diet is the best I've found for muscle growth, performance, satiety and enjoyment!

I have also got into the Wim Hof Method over the past six months which is created by a Dutch guy called Wim Hof, AKA the IceMan. It involves yoga style breathing such as hyperventilating and then cold exposure. I do the breathing routines every morning and then take a 5 minute freezing cold shower.

Once a week I will swim in a lake for 5 minutes on Hamstead Heath. It has been proven to strengthen to immue system, reduce inflammation and help with recovery along with a bunch of other benefits.

I have done this all through the winter and have not come near having a cold and recover better than every from training. Also, the breathing makes you feel high which is nice haha

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

Pizza!

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

Vegan Chocolate protein powder from bulk powders.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I would do a 3-5 year bulk from 18 onwards and get all my compound lifts locked down with perfect form. At that age with your testosterone high I think you would lay just a strong foundation and great muscle memory for the rest of your life. And I wouldn't believe the BS from the magazines and actually eat tons of carbs haha  

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why? 

 Mike Vacanti. He's an online coach too. Dude talks truth and doesn't get enough props! 

 Eric Wong who is an MMA strength and conditioning coach. No BS guy and he taught me a lot! 

Also I like Eric Helms, Aaron Argon and Layne Norton.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Don't try and avoid hard work. Whatever you want in life is going to require insane amounts of it and whatever you think it will take times it by 100 and you might be halfway there.

You're going to have bumps, gritty situations and times when life kicks the shit out of you. It's normal, happens to everyone and is part of the journey. Accept it and get to work.

Everything is a good idea until the hard work starts. A good work ethic is the key to success. Accept it or be happy with where you are but don't bitch or moan about stuff you haven't got for work you haven't done.

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

Coach over 100'000 people and bring macros to the masses. Put jucie fasts, slimming clubs and diet teas out of business! Slay all the BS in the fitness and fat loss industry.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

www.macrolean.co.uk 
instagram: @macroleanmethod
facebook: @macrolean



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................