Sunday 21 November 2021

12 Questions With CrossFit Athlete Kimberly Dekrey

1) Who is Kimberly Dekrey? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)
 
I'm from Gainesville, FL. I work in marketing for Valor Fitness. I enjoy being outside, making/eating desserts, going to coffee shops, walking/hiking, hosting dinners with friends, exploring new restaurants 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

I started crossfit when I graduated college 8.5 years ago and told myself I wanted to do a sport after I graduated. When I discovered crossfit, I knew this was the sport I wanted to do.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

I tore my acl while doing rope climbs 2 years ago and had to have acl surgery in Jan 2020 but the surgery turned into an infection and I had to have another surgery and IV antibiotics following that for 4 weeks.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate). 

In the morning I will go into the gym and do a workout, then I will come back and make a protein shake with protein, almond milk, spinach and peanut butter, then I will eat breakfast, usually eggs and toast, then I go to work. After work I will go back to the gym and do another workout and some sort of strength or skill work. Then I come home, have another shake and then a big dinner, usually rice, broccoli/asparagus and a meat: chicken, fish, steak etc. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future) 

I have learned so much this past year after my injury in regards to taking care of the body and preventing the body from injury. I have realized the value of warming up as well as activation and mobility before your workout. I have also learned to become more cautious in my workouts rather than careless of what I'm doing because it's not worth the risk.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?   

Fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. I eat them all the time... lol

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

1st Phorm chocolate protein powder - tastes like a chocolate milkshake.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why? 

I would have eaten much bigger and nutritious meals the first 5 years of doing crossfit. I used to eat very poorly. My friends would always make fun of me for only snacking and eating protein bars. Now, I eat full meals and I have gotten stronger just from eating properly.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?   

Tia Toomey is one of my favorites. It makes me so happy that she is the legend in the sport that I do because she represents what I aspire to represent: a female athlete who is humble, genuine, naturally herself and incredibly driven.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be? 

Go easy on yourself. Be patient and practice the movements every day. It will take at least 2 years to be competitive in this sport so try to celebrate the little accomplishments.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 
I want to podium at Wodapalooza and I want to make it back to the Games next year. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

Instagram: @kimberleemidori

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................